• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OBB Intersections

This topic is 5148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I''ve stumbled across collision detection with OBBs. I have an idea of an alternative collision detection algorithm. Here it is. Let''s assume that each OBB box consists of triangles that have face inside (e.g vertex indices). So, I was thinking: to actually detect if they intersect OR collide (let''s say we have two OBBs, A and B), find a closest vertex from A to B''s center, then find closest vertex from B to A''s center, and then simply test if a point from box A is in front or lying on the triangles (hence, planes) from box B. Here''s my idea for testing collision/penetration. Basically, if the test returns that a point is ON the plane, the we have a collision and we also have a point of collision. That''s it. Tell me what you think of it. Thanks " Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

Advertisement
Maybe I''m missing something, but I''m pretty sure that it would return a false hit if both cubes were turned 45 degrees and the sides were overlapping on the "closest axis" but not intersecting.

I''d post a pic, but I don''t own any webspace.

• Advertisement