Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ilimo

which one : 3ds or .x ?

Guest Anonymous Poster
DX doesn''t "accept," anything. He means DX comes with a support library for parsing X files. I say pick whichever you have more experience with.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If your going to do animation you''ll have to write a custom .x paser anyway so I''d go with the simplist format or the one you know best.

.x is great for getting things in quick though, thanks to the D3DX library of functions.

Its just my opinion here but i say make your own format, you will have to eventualy. if thats not a step you want to take try md3 or x files, x files do btw allow for animation just fine no need for a custom parser or maybe im just mixing up your definition of "custom". So yeha make your own, Use a quake format, or use X files.

If you're just learning about DX, then stick with .x files for now. They support animations, skinning, texturing, etc... Once you understand how to manipulate meshes using .x files, you can play with meshes in any format since the concepts are all the same. The difference is that DX has a lot of helper utilities for dealing with .x files. For other formats, you'll have to write your own.

Most commercial games use their own format because they need a format designed specifically to take advantage of the engine they're using.

However, I do know that some developers use .x files as an intermediate format. By intermediate format, I mean that they import the mesh into the game from an .x file. Then the use some of DX's optimization routines to clean up the mesh, and then the mesh is translated into an internal format for rendering by the game engine.

It's up to you how you want to describe your models. But if you're a hobbyist and have just started to learn about this, then I would say to stick with .x files since they're pretty well documented, have a lot of built in support inside DX and you'll find many people that know a lot about them in case you get stuck somewhere.

neneboricua

[edited by - neneboricua19 on January 15, 2004 11:31:44 PM]