Mouse coordinates to OpenGL coordinates?

Started by
13 comments, last by Explosive 20 years, 1 month ago
How it can be done? I want to move my 3D cube with the mouse,but there is a difference between windows coordinates of the mouse (i draw in a window)and GL coordinates of my cube wich is at the origin of the scene.I use glRenderMode(GL_SELECT),I mean that I can determinate that my mouse is on the cube, and I can grab it,but when I move mouse the cube didn''t move equaly with mouse becouse of the coordinates....What I must done?
Advertisement
I use this code to pick 2D objects but I think it may be useful.
It has to be written in the WindowProc.
case WM_MOUSEMOVE:{	MousePos.x = (int)(((float)LOWORD(lParam))/APP_WIDTH);          	MousePos.y = (int)(((float)HIWORD(lParam))/APP_HEIGHT);}break;

The max value it gives to mousePos.x and MousePos.y are 1.0
The top left corner of the screen is (0,0).
APP_WIDTH and APP_HEIGHT are the width and height of you app.
This code does not work properly if you resize your window.

BTW, does anyone know how to make it impossible to resize the window?
I think you have to times the movement by the distance if you can already grab it and move it.
The Love Of Trees
I dont know how it is in API code, I use MFC, but saw that:
void CGLView::OnSize(UINT nType, int cx, int cy)
{
TRACE0("OnSize\r\n") ;
CView::OnSize(nType, cx, cy);

// TODO: Add your message handler code here

if((cx <= 0) || (cy <= 0) ) return ;

CClientDC dc(this) ;
//
//Make Rendering Context Current
//

BOOL bResult = wglMakeCurrent(dc.m_hDC, m_hRC) ;
if(!bResult)
{
TRACE("wglMakeCurrent failed - %d\r\n",
GetLastError()) ;
return ;
}
//
//Seting the world
//
m_gldAspect = (GLdouble) cx/ (GLdouble) cy ;
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION) ;
glLoadIdentity() ;
gluPerspective(45.0, m_gldAspect, 0.1, 100000.0) ;
glViewport(0, 0, cx, cy) ;
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
glTranslated(0.0f, 0.0f, -4.0f);

//No rendering contex will be current
wglMakeCurrent(NULL, NULL) ;

}

I'm kinda having the same problem as you. I'm using gluProject to get the model's position in screen coordinates like so:
  GLdouble modelMatrix[16] ;  GLdouble projMatrix[16] ;  GLint viewPort[4] ;  glGetDoublev ( GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelMatrix ) ;  glGetDoublev ( GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projMatrix ) ;  glGetIntegerv ( GL_VIEWPORT, viewPort ) ;  gluProject ( sprite_x,                sprite_y, sprite_z ,                modelMatrix, projMatrix, viewPort,               &screen_x, &screen_y, &screen_z ) ; 

I'm not exactly sure what screen_z is all about. I guess its to mirror gluUnProject. Anyway, you can just ignore it

Now you've got the model's screen coordinates, I'll leave it up to you to decide if the mouse is over it and if it is clicked or whatever.

The next part is where I've been having trouble. You can you gluUnProject to convert the screen coordinates to your model's coordinate system...
  gluUnProject ( (double) mouse_x,                  (double) mouse_y, 0.0,                 modelMatrix, projMatrix, viewPort,                 &x, &y, &z ); 

Unfortunately this gives coordinates that are pretty mush useless. z will be the camera's z and x and y will be there, not where z=0 which is what you want. I've tried putting different values in where I have 0.0 above, but It didn't really do what I want.

So what you (and I) need is to be able to make a vector from the camera that passes through the x,y,z from gluUnproject above and find out where it intersects the z=0 plane.

I hope this gets you a little further, and if you do find the soution please post it here, since I need the answer too.

Peace.

[edited by - JahToasted on January 17, 2004 2:11:22 AM]
Ok I figured out the second half of the problem. I posted the solution here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=201999

hope this helps.
quote:Original post by lazork357
I use this code to pick 2D objects but I think it may be useful.
It has to be written in the WindowProc.
case WM_MOUSEMOVE:{	MousePos.x = (int)(((float)LOWORD(lParam))/APP_WIDTH);          	MousePos.y = (int)(((float)HIWORD(lParam))/APP_HEIGHT);}break;

Here is how you change into window coords.

// Get the mouse''s current X, Y position
POINT mousePos;
GetCursorPos(&mousePos);
ScreenToClient(g_hWnd, &mousePos);

quote:
BTW, does anyone know how to make it impossible to resize the window?

Yes. To do this it''s how you initially create your window. This post is going to be messy but.

///////////////////////////////// CREATE WIN32 WINDOW \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\*//////////	This function creates a window, then maps calls to winproc////////////////////////////////////// CREATE WIN32 WINDOW \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\*HWND CreateWin32Window(LPSTR strWindowName, int width, int height, DWORD dwStyle, bool bFullScreen, HINSTANCE hInstance){	ShowCursor(TRUE); // Show the mouse	HWND hWnd;	char class_name[] = "72Hours";	if(!bFullScreen)	{		WNDCLASSEX wndclassex;		wndclassex.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);		wndclassex.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;		wndclassex.lpfnWndProc = WinProc;		wndclassex.cbClsExtra = 0;		wndclassex.cbWndExtra = 0;		wndclassex.hInstance = hInstance;		wndclassex.hIcon = NULL;		wndclassex.hCursor = NULL;		wndclassex.hCursor = (HCURSOR)LoadImage(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDC_POINTER),			IMAGE_CURSOR, 0, 0, LR_DEFAULTSIZE); // Window sets shape of mouse		wndclassex.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH);		wndclassex.lpszMenuName = NULL;		wndclassex.lpszClassName = class_name;		wndclassex.hIconSm = NULL;		//Support my window without the min/max stuff		RegisterClassEx(&wndclassex);		hWnd = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_APPWINDOW, // This is a flag that can give our window different properties							class_name,							strWindowName,							WS_OVERLAPPED | WS_SYSMENU,	// Window won''t be resizable							0,							0,							width,							height,							NULL,							NULL,							hInstance,							NULL);	}	if(!hWnd)	{		UnregisterClass(class_name, hInstance);		return NULL;	}	ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_SHOWNORMAL);					// Show the window	UpdateWindow(hWnd);									// Draw the window	SetFocus(hWnd);										// Sets Keyboard Focus To The Window		return hWnd;}

*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
Does anybody know a place where I can find an example/demo in C++ to move objects with the mouse? I''ve searched a long time but I wasn''t able to find one.

Fanny
Since I get mouse input with direct X just multiply the mickey value by some arbitary number 0.001 works nice and translate, or rotate or do whatever with it.

If you want to place an object in an opengl window based on the cursor position then get the cursor position, relative to the client part of the window then do

x=x/Width*2-1
y=y/Height*2-1

And then translate your object, assuming of course that your object is centered on zero.

[edited by - RamboBones on February 29, 2004 10:53:04 PM]
Hey Explosive.

You can use gluUnProject to accomplish this.

I have some Delphi source code on my site showing how to do this.

gluUnProject

I seem to remember there being a c++ tutorial on NeHe's site about this also.

[edited by - McCLaw on March 1, 2004 6:23:54 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement