Are there any c# raytracers?

Started by
13 comments, last by Kate18 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any open source non realtime raytracers written in c# anywhere. I''ve searched arounded but haven''t spotted any. I am just curious to see how the code would look, even if it just rendered a sphere Thanks for any links
Advertisement
Heh, C# graphics programming? You must be joking... OpenGL doesn''t even work in C#. A few emulators have been created to SIMULATE OpenGL but that is all. When microsoft created C# they got rid of #includes -- in my mind an essential part of the language. I suggest using the .NET libraries in conjunction with C++ -- i use that for all my windows applications with built in OpenGL.

--===LITHIC===--
--===WWW.Decimation.TK===--
As long as you can get access to the frame buffer I don''t see why you couldn''t write a raytracer in C#. Although I am just learning raytracing myself, I can''t see any real reason to use OpenGL as it doesn''t give you anything really useful where raytracing is concerned as you are when doing raytracing you are basically doing lighting calculations "by hand" on a pixel-by-pixel basis.

peace and (trance) out

Mage
---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
quote:Original post by Lithic
Heh, C# graphics programming? You must be joking... OpenGL doesn''t even work in C#. A few emulators have been created to SIMULATE OpenGL but that is all. When microsoft created C# they got rid of #includes -- in my mind an essential part of the language. I suggest using the .NET libraries in conjunction with C++ -- i use that for all my windows applications with built in OpenGL.

What kind of drugs are you on?

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:
Heh, C# graphics programming? You must be joking... OpenGL doesn't even work in C#. A few emulators have been created to SIMULATE OpenGL but that is all. When microsoft created C# they got rid of #includes -- in my mind an essential part of the language. I suggest using the .NET libraries in conjunction with C++ -- i use that for all my windows applications with built in OpenGL.

My my my.... can someone tell me why people in these forums answer questions on C# (or .NET for that matter), even if they haven't got the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Seriously, I have been programming with C# and .NET for a while now, but I still check and double check each reply I make about these topics. This is because it's still relatively new to me and I (am I the only one??) do NOT like spreading misinfo. I'd rather not reply at all if I don't know my reply is 100% correct.

But this could just be me... maybe I'm just not normal.

On topic: the OP did not even mention OpenGL. But you should just look at the code from non-C# raytracers. Especially code written in Java or C++ shouldn't be to hard to port.

Drawing:
You could use GDI-functions (or was it GDI+?), or opengl, or directx or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Edo

EDIT: insert links:
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone28/cat1008/23473.htm
http://www.unc.edu/courses/2003spring/comp/236/001/handouts.html

[edited by - edotorpedo on January 15, 2004 5:40:13 PM]
Edo

--===LITHIC===--

were you dropped on your head as a child?

---

to get access the back buffer you could use an SDL wrapper. if you google for SDL.NET you''ll find what your looking for.
-jonnii=========jon@voodooextreme.comwww.voodooextreme.com

Damn...

Arild Fines already beat me to the reply.
Maybe you, Imperil and I should sit down some day and make a FAQ about "The 10 Most Common Lies on C#.NET".

Cheers,

Edo
Edo
if you use gdi+, this could help you out. setting pixel color by accessing the image data is way faster than using a setpixel function in gdi+. gdi+''s drawing functions are WAY slow.
Since everybody here seems to think that i'm wrong please give me a link to a working OpenGL (and not a third-party emulator) for C#.

Why I say C# is not very useful for graphics is because it compiles into machine-code at runtime and precious speed is lost. However now that i reread the original entry i notice that it doesn't have to be realtime, so that isn't really a problem.

--===LITHIC===--

[edited by - Lithic on January 15, 2004 10:02:20 PM]
Since everybody here seems to think that i''m wrong please give me a link to a working OpenGL (and not a third-party emulator) for C#.

Why I say C# is not very useful for graphics is because it compiles into machine-code at runtime and precious speed is lost. However now that i reread the original entry i notice that it doesn''t have to be realtime, so that isn''t really a problem.

--===LITHIC===--

[edited by - Lithic on January 15, 2004 10:02:20 PM]

what?

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people
[size=2]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement