Large dictionary database

Started by
2 comments, last by tungsteneer3 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I am making a series of internet word games in which a user will try to make words from a set of letters to obtain scores. The games will be made in Java and Flash (a version of the game for each platform). Obviously, the biggest problem I have encountered is determining when a word is correctly spelled or not. Is there a large database of words I could download to check the entered words against? The game only allows words of length 8 or less, so the dictionary wouldn''t have to be completely comprehensive. I do not know much about backend programming, but I''m guessing once I have the database I could make an ASP page or PHP page and call it as "check_word.asp?word=something" or something like that? I would also hope it could return something such as XML to tell me True or False on whether or not the passed word was spelled correclty. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Advertisement
I don''t know about an online dictionary, but many *ahem* "password recovery tools" use dictionary files that are essentially just a textfile listing thousands of English words. If you google around for words like password, dictionary and word list you might have some success.
there was recently a post about this, where some people gave good links. you can check back a few weeks worth of posts (or search).
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
if you''re using linux you can check out /usr/share/dict/words. i don''t know how complete it is, but its a whole load of words. seems as i''m so great you get a copy of that file from my webspace here(2.4mb).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement