Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

biotech

dll creation

I wouldnt bother with a dll - could just create a function that contains the common(by your definition of common) initialization parameters and whenever you need then, call it. You can do the same when you want to restore gl to some common state (dont need as much stuff as initialization stuff).

Modulate the function and you can include it in all of your programs.

The only advantage I can see to making a .dll file from your initialization code is if you actually plan to make a large-scale, flexible, and even publically distributed engine. Updates to the engine don''t necessitate recompiling the application using it, so that''s a nice feature. Additionally, you can dynamically load/unload code in a .dll, but I''m not sure why you''d want to load/unload an engine Half-life does have their engine code in a .dll file I believe -- the game mods then interface with that.

My current basecode is just a .cpp and .h file that I include into each new project I make (plus a .h and .rc resource file for my video settings dialog). I often find I modify the basecode slightly depending on the project, so it''s nice having the source instead of an immutable .dll package. One day I''ll probably have really flexible init code, or a full-blown engine, and that''ll probably be in a .dll

Just my thoughts.