Engines???

Started by
3 comments, last by PyroniaWatches 20 years, 3 months ago
Well, ive heard of all sorts of engines. Tile, isometric, 3d... so on. but i want to know exactly what the heck an engine is. what does it do, what is it composed of??? like a 2D engine is what im talking about. like the one used in games like Chrono Chross or Mario or a tile-based rpg thats 2D. Does the engine draw the whole background??? and what is a particle engine anyhow??? oh and does anyone know any good tutorials on writing and engine. I know this is a lot but i need to know. any responses welcome. thanks
Advertisement
An engine is code used to make a game. The engine is the code that doesn''t change: it is your basecode, just like the functions in your compiler''s header files such as iostream.h. The other code is customized for fine details of the game. Engines can be reused if they are built well enough. 2D engines and 3D engines are simply built for 2D and 3D games, respectively. A particle engine is a device that releases particles to create a cool effect such as a waterfall, fireworks, explosions, rain, snow, etc. Many tutorials on the subject can be found here at Gamedev.net.
You would draw your backgrounds, tilesets, and sprites using a drawing program, such as Photoshop. Using your engine, you would be able to display your graphics. In a 3d engine you would draw the textures for the 3d models, which are made using a 3d modeler, such as Blender.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb

WiseElben.com - Experience Wisdom
Engine is just a non-official term. It''s some code that does something, and you use it over and over again to do what it was to do.

I have code to draw bitmaps.. It does everything bitmap related. Sometimes I call it an engine. I also have a gametree code-- it knows how to generate and traverse game trees. I sometimes call this an engine.

It''s just a term.

Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com
Basically an engine is made to accomplish a certain task and acts as the building blocks for the rest of your program(Or in your case, 2D game). Let me show you an example:
CEngine {
public:
int somevar;

CEngine();
~CEngine();
int Foo();
}
Then in your game, you would call Foo() to do whatever you need it to. That''s just the basics of what an engine does (By no means a working example ). Hope that helps your understanding a bit.

----------------------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don''t"
----------------------------------"War does not determine who is right, only who is left." -Bertrand Russell

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement