Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danto

Sole Survivor Demo

Howdy everyone, I've been working on this small 2D game for a bit now and have a demo that I would like to share. Just looking to see what people think of it. Gameplay, stability, music, sound...all that stuff. Thanks. It's a 2D top down scrolling space shooter. Demo Download [edited by - danto on January 15, 2004 5:42:11 PM]

You might want to consider offering a "lite" version for download. You main game data file is 8 megs and your music is about 3 megs, but your movies are nearly 9 megs. Or in other words, your movies are about double the size of your actual game data. You could replace the animated logo with a simple static bitmap, and replace the FMV intro with a text-crawl. (I couldn''t hear what was being said anyway, too much reverb!) While the death animation is neat, same thing applies to it, too.

Then, that''s one more thing you could add to your "full version" list to intice people to buy -- Fully animated sequences! Wow!

I used a similiar method for one of my games. The full install is 9 megs, but you can download just the core game files (sound fx + graphics data + program) for 3 megs. That''s all you need to play the game. If you want music, you can download the lo-quality music pack (3 megs) or hi-quality music pack (6 megs). But, neither music pack is necessary. Of course, my reasons for doing this are a bit different than what I outlined above -- I wanted to offer a single-click install for folks who just like to install-and-go, but this option only works under Windows. For the more frugal of us (ie: narrowband users), we can just grab the Windows core package (or the Linux one), and then pick what sort of music we want, if any.

And, on top of that, you can choose to download the fully animated intro movie. (A whopping 43 megs! This was designed for a CD release of the game, but in case you want to brave the download time, it''s available...)

As for the game itself, I wish I could say more. But it played VERY jerkily for me, meaning I died every 5 seconds. Strangely enough, the game plays fine unless I shoot and kill an enemy. When the screen flashes, the game freezes momentarily, making me suspect your using some DX feature that my video card doesn''t support or like very much.

I was testing this on a 1.4 Ghz Pentium III, 512M of RAM, GeForce 4 MX graphics card.

Other than that, congrats on finishing the game! Being I''m a shooter fan, I hope you can resolve these issues so I can play the game fully.

---
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]

Thanks for all the advice. A lite version might be just the thing. The full game isn''t done yet. Still working on finishing up some levels and of course fixing bugs. I have done some other testing with the demo version on several different machines and had not seen that problem with it being jerky. Thanks again for the feedback.