Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Storm

Occlusion culling questions

1. I have not yet decided how to choose good occluders but virtual occluders seems to be effective. However I will also have terrain which is not a part of the KD-Tree that the virtual occluders were created from. Can I still use them for occlusion even if I''m not in any of the KD-Tree nodes? 2. Are there any good solutions for not culling geometry that would cast shadows?

1. You can create virtual occluders for the terrain as geometry that is completly below the terrain. Just add that to the kd-tree.

2. When you run you shadow algorithm, you either use all of the geometry (or simplified geometry) or do a separate occlusion cull from the light''s view point.

karg

quote:
Original post by Karg
1. You can create virtual occluders for the terrain as geometry that is completly below the terrain. Just add that to the kd-tree.

I''m not sure what you mean. Would you like to explain this a bit more?

Divide the terrain in 16x16 patches, compute the lowest height and add cube-shaped occluders to your tree with their height as the lowest height value. This makes them sit right under the terrain. Just experiment with various sizes and shapes.