no error on float division by zero? (vc6)

Started by
13 comments, last by wamingo 20 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by iamjoesname
If you run fallenang3l''s code in .NET 2003, b = 1.#INF, or positive infinity, non NaN. This makes me wonder about three things. One, why was it changed from VC++6 to VC++7, since (at least to me) it makes more sense to have NaN returned for an undefined result rather than positive infinity? Two, why is a hardware exception not thrown, as is the case with integer division by 0? Third, if you search through MSDN, there''s a section on C++ Multiplicative Operators which says "Division by 0 in either a division or a modulus expression is undefined and causes a run-time error." Not only is the result here not undefined (it''s actually positive infinity), but it does not cause a run-time error. Apparently, Microsoft sometimes doesn''t even conform to it''s own documentation--kind of like b != b, eh?

[edited by - iamjoesname on January 18, 2004 1:45:04 AM]

It makes sense for it to return pos. infinity. Take a look at the graph of 1 / x as x->0+.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by fallenang3l
It makes sense for it to return pos. infinity. Take a look at the graph of 1 / x as x->0+.

Yes, the lim x->0+ 1/x is positive infinity. However, the statement "float a = 0.0f; float b = 6/a;" is not a limit. It''s simply a division by 0 statement. Returning positive infinity here is just mathematically incorrect; 6/0 does not equal positive infinity--it''s undefined. NaN seems the better option to me.
If you run fallenang3l''s code in .NET 2003, b = 1.#INF, or positive infinity, non NaN. This makes me wonder about three things. One, why was it changed from VC++6 to VC++7, since (at least to me) it makes more sense to have NaN returned for an undefined result rather than positive infinity? Two, why is a hardware exception not thrown, as is the case with integer division by 0? Third, if you search through MSDN, there''s a section on C++ Multiplicative Operators which says "Division by 0 in either a division or a modulus expression is undefined and causes a run-time error." Not only is the result here not undefined (it''s actually positive infinity), but it does not cause a run-time error. Apparently, Microsoft sometimes doesn''t even conform to it''s own documentation--kind of like b != b, eh?

[edited by - iamjoesname on January 18, 2004 1:45:04 AM]

1) NaN is the result of floating point operations that are mathematically undefined. 1.0/0.0 is infinite (represented as a number with maximum exponent - 127 for float, 1023 for double - and zero mantissa), ok, but 0.0/0.0 is Not a Number (NaN)

2) It depends on the architecture. There are signalling NaNs and non-signalling NaNs. When a signalling NaN is returned, a hardware exception is raised (if the hardware supports it) and it is converted to a non-signalling NaN.

3) I assume the page referred to integer operations: I believe the modulus operator is not defined for floating-point numbers. As for the reason for floats'' behaviour, that''s the way the IEEE 754 standard wants it. It also states that NaN != X for all values of X, including NaN.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yes, the lim x->0+ 1/x is positive infinity. However, the statement "float a = 0.0f; float b = 6/a;" is not a limit. It''s simply a division by 0 statement. Returning positive infinity here is just mathematically incorrect; 6/0 does not equal positive infinity--it''s undefined. NaN seems the better option to me.

Standard floating-point numbers are stored in a sign-exponent-mantissa form. It follows that there is both a ''positive zero'' [0 00000000 000000000000000] and a ''negative zero'' [1 00000000 000000000000000].

Floating point numbers may not behave entirely accurately in mathematical terms (after all, they only cover a finite number of value), but not only are they fully specified (IEEE 754 - Standard for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic), returning an infinite value is more useful than getting a NaN regardless.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yes. There are some algorithms where it''s useful to be able to distinguish the +0 result from -0, too.

Though if I were designing a number format I think I''d want to have separate values to indicate ''positive zero'', ''negative zero'' (both as limiting cases) and plain old 0 (which gives NaNs on division, because there''s no way to know which side the limit ought to be taken from).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement