How is the game developing industry?

Started by
5 comments, last by Scarto 20 years, 3 months ago
How in-demand are game developers/programmers? I''m considering going into the field, but I feel that everyone and their brother would want to make video games. So how well do programmers do? Salary?
Advertisement
please go to:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article866.asp

and:

http://www.gametutorials.com/Articles/GameIndustryCareer.htm

and...then ask again ! *laughing*

ok, really:
these two articles are painting a very realistic picture - i think most of your "direct" questions, and "indirect", questions will be answered by reading this both pages.

but, to get some information about the salary, there has been an article here, recently, which linked to the current salary survey in gaming business...made by...hmmm....this big gaming association, which makes the gamedeveloper magazine, and all this stuff - i don''t know the name from the top of my head, right now - really, i can see their logo in my imagination, but i can''t find their name in my brain

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
... the IGDA perhaps?
You need to have the urge to be a game programmer, to become a good one. You cannot become a game programmer just because the world needs one more.

Try searching for the answer in yourself, what do you want to become. This is really important because all kinds of work gets boring or mostly the same after a while and if you haven''t made a good choice to begin with, you''ll be stuck with a position you cannot stand.

Said the man who switched from game programming to tile laying. Enough said.

Albert - hobby programmer
-------------------------------------------http://www.thec.org
quote:
but I feel that everyone and their brother would want to make video games.

This is true.. but remember that everyone and their brother normally sit around playing games talking about how if they built a game it would be the best... they don't actively go out and learn.

Or look at all the "building a new MMORPG" people in the help wanted section.. none of these will ever come remotely close to even 1% completed.

Everone and their brother may want to be a game developer.. but less than 1% of the ones that want to, will do it =]

quote:
So how well do programmers do? Salary?

I've found it to be roughly 1/2 or 1/3 you would make working in IT or corporate development.

But you have to take into consideration that it's not always about the money, it is much more important that you are doing something that you enjoy.

[edited by - Imperil on January 16, 2004 1:11:59 PM]
I play this one game...

and if I could make my own it would be leet...

It could be a online game; one with secrete codes you can type in for like invincibilty and stuff; but you would have to find them to use them...
There MY 1s and 0s, I'll do whatever I want to them...
quote:Original post by Cyber-Ace
I play this one game...

and if I could make my own it would be leet...

It could be a online game; one with secrete codes you can type in for like invincibilty and stuff; but you would have to find them to use them...

ROFL yeah those are the types of people I was mentioning =]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement