Deathmatch game test

Started by
38 comments, last by Bouncer 20 years, 2 months ago
This is a very early test of our upcoming game nano and I'm just really trying to get rid of any nasty bugs now that the engine is completed. Only a few people have reported that the game won't run, but those people count too. So I'm trying to testdrive this thing with as many comps. as possible. So if you want to help me ... download the demo and just post did it work or if it didn't whats your configuration. Thanks. And now to the game... Currently there are three players fighting it of in an arena. The game is located inside human body and you fight with viruses. Controls: PL1 - arrows + right cntrl PL2 - w,a,s,d + left shft PL3 - mouse [beware... the player 3 has homing missiles Screenshot: Game test: Download here size: 1.3M [edited by - bouncer on January 15, 2004 7:20:10 PM] [edited by - bouncer on January 15, 2004 7:20:48 PM] [edited by - bouncer on January 15, 2004 7:23:46 PM]
Milk is for babies
Advertisement
Holy crap! (pardon mi lingua)

That was amazing! Your usage of physics was very, very impressive... and the deformable objects, like how the little balls of good wriggled when they got hit or bumped into, that''s absolutely fantastic. I''m damn impressed... is it GPL? Can we see the code? I''d be fascinated to see it.

Either way, well done! My jaw hit the floor more than once as I was trying it out!
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
A very nice demo! The auto-zoom feature is quite nice, and the physics are kind of cool. Can you tell us a little bit more about the game? I tried firing my weapon at various things, but the particles did not seem to do much... Looks like a virus or cancer-hunting type game. Are you wanting to talk to Game Boy Advance publishers? I ask only because I think a game such as this could play well on GBA, not because it fits that platform currently!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

[edited by - grhodes_at_work on January 15, 2004 9:37:41 PM]
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
You have to hit things a few times to destroy them... lol, I probably sound like the biggest loser ever, but I''ve been playing the demo for like an hour... long, long after I used player 3 to kill off the other players and blow up pretty much everything... something about the realistic nature of the physics, and the deformable objects paired with just the perfect texture to give it a "goopy, membrane" feel makes this thing perfect. I really have to applaud you on this.

I spent most of my time playing with the physics... it''s pretty much unbreakable, which you deserve a good pat on the back for. I toyed with moving things around, and ended up making a "game within a game" by trying to get one of the big, bouncy membrane balls into difficult crevices at the bottom of the map and seeing if I could balance it on the ship to get it back to the top. It''s difficult, but aided by the fact that it (realistically for a thin membrane!) deforms just a little bit to mold itself to the top of the ship. Ever so slightly, just like you would expect for something with the consistency slightly thicker than jell-o. I just couldn''t believe the extent to which it goes.

Well, I''d better stop playing with this thing. =) When you finish this game up, and get it to whatever it''s going to end up being, be sure to tell us. I definately want to see what comes of this project if something this cool is just a work in progress!
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
Nice game, although I belive that such a game should have computer AI controling other players. And why is it that player 3 gets to use the mouse and has homing missiles?
The physics are supurb - I assume you are the author of the physics demo that was rather popular a while back?
yip --- it''s very cool!
Looks awesome! If you want bugs... i can tell you a kind of a bug from the screenshot you gave.... your statistics seem to be drawn first, then your 3d stuff over it... constructive criticism :-D its very impressive though!

-Dan

Yes I realize im a n00b...
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Excellent - no bugs I could see (apart from that text one) and it''s fun to play with.

Feels a bit like xpilots (so many hours spent playing during the PhD years!)...
VThornheart: Thanks for the comments. Glad you like the physics.

Jack1313: this is a test... not a game. Full game coming sometime this year.

Ademan: yeah... i know about the text

ABOUT THE GAME

The game is going to be a deathmatch/team match type game for 2-6 (human or cpu) players. The game will include:

- good cpu players

- Lot''s of interactive objects, such as magnets, fans, turrets, eploding stuff etc... Plenty of weapons and powerups

- You can modify your ship and change Thrusters, weight, weapons, handling, shields ... etc.

- Full WYSIWYG scene editor that let''s you assemble levels from blocks easily. You can resize, rotate and use the kind of dynamic and static objects as you like. Over a hundred objects you can combine any way you like.

- Different gamemodes such as Team matches, Destoy base missions, capture the flag , racing.

The game is going to be released as shareware sometime this year.

Milk is for babies
if I alt tab to another window and then wait a while before alt tabbing back, I can "swim" much faster. The time I can swim faster is related to the time the game didn''t have focus.

great game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement