Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sevak

C# for Consoles

I am currently learning C++ and lately a lot of people have been posting about how great C# is and why it is better then C++. Well looking at their posts its kind of made me want to stop learning C++ and just learn C#. However, you cant make console games or even linux/apple games with C# so I am stuck. I want to know will C# ever be used to create video games? Also what in the world is longhorn?!

quote:
Original post by sevak
I am currently learning C++ and lately a lot of people have been posting about how great C# is and why it is better then C++. Well looking at their posts its kind of made me want to stop learning C++ and just learn C#. However, you cant make console games or even linux/apple games with C# so I am stuck. I want to know will C# ever be used to create video games? Also what in the world is longhorn?!

Longhorn is the next version of Windows and is as big as the DOS->Win95 change.

Regarding C#.. no it will not be used for consoles, or apple, or much linux.

Sure you can make cross-platform things with Linux, etc.. but the sole purpose of C# is for development solely on Windows Longhorn.

If consoles are what you are interested in, definately stick with C/C++ and maybe even some ASM just for knowledge of how to interface with the hardware at a lower level.

If you plan on console, apple, or linux programming, C# is probably not for you. But, if you do want to write games for Windows Longhorn, it may be a good idea to get some C# under your belt.

----------------------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don''t"

quote:
Original post by Imperil
Regarding C#.. no it will not be used for consoles, or apple, or much linux.

Not true. Rumors are circulating that .NET framework will be the API for the next version of XBox. Mono (the .NET for linux project) has secured financial support of the giants and is gaining momentum as well as becoming more mature. A few months ago I couldn''t port our .NET app to Mono, but they are getting awefully close to being usable in production.
quote:
Original post by Imperil
Sure you can make cross-platform things with Linux, etc.. but the sole purpose of C# is for development solely on Windows Longhorn.

This is also not true. The sole purpose of C# and .NET is cross platform development in effective manner. The fact that Longhorn will expose it''s API to .NET natively does not imply C# is designed for Longhorn development. It''s the other way around.

quote:
Original post by CoffeeMug
Not true. Rumors are circulating that .NET framework will be the API for the next version of XBox.

I''ll believe it when I see it. For a PC, yes you want a managed system.. but I can''t for the life of me figure why you would want a managed system for a Console.

quote:

Mono (the .NET for linux project) has secured financial support of the giants and is gaining momentum as well as becoming more mature. A few months ago I couldn''t port our .NET app to Mono, but they are getting awefully close to being usable in production.

I actually HATE that Mono was aquired. Please note they didn''t secure financial support.. they were quite simply bought.. and by Novell of all companies. Maybe it will be different this time, but Novell has run everything it has ever owned into the ground, or Microsoft destroyed it (ie Netware).

quote:

This is also not true. The sole purpose of C# and .NET is cross platform development in effective manner.

That is what Microsoft wants to sell you. The sole purpose of C# and .NET is development on future Windows platforms, with cross-platform an added bonus.

quote:

The fact that Longhorn will expose it''s API to .NET natively does not imply C# is designed for Longhorn development. It''s the other way around.

Actually according to Andres the main focus of C# was for having a language specifically built for the future of Windows development.

Now after all of that.. please don''t think I am against C# in any way. There are 3-4 other threads where I am getting attacked by 5+ people because I back up C#.

I have been developing professionally for a couple years in C#, as well as switched all graphics/game coding to C# just recently... so don''t think I am against the language in any way.

For Windows Longhorn development on the PC.. C# is the way of the future. For console development I don''t believe C# will find its way there. Of course I may be proven wrong and only time will tell =]