Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chengbk

Purchasing Game Engine

Does anybody has experience in purshasing a game engine? I am working in a newly established gaming company and recently we just bought a game engine. The graphic created by the engine is good, but the only problem is that the documentation came with it is minimal. It does not come with API documentation and description about the exposed function calls. My question is, is that the way it is in this industry or I should request for more detail documentation from the developer?

1. You should have look the documentation over BEFORE you bought the engine. It is too late now. Although asking the developer might not hurt. They may have forgot the Docs when they shipped it to you.
2. Doxygen might be somewhat helpful, at least with creating API docs.

Documentation is a very iffy thing. Sometimes its good, sometimes it looks good but ends up being bad, sometimes it is non-existant.

Doxygen is good, but it is useless too if there is no comment in the code itself.

What I really want to find out is whether is it common that game engine always does not come with detail documentation, otherwise we are going to make a request and complaint to the developer.

In most cases full documentation is provided with the engine. But usually when you do license an engine you are provided with a list of what is included either on a web page or via request (which you should always do if you can''t find info on exactly what you are licensing). Regardless, asking the developer about more detailed documentation isn''t going to kill anyone, so just fire off an email.

If the engine you licensed is Torque, then this is somewhat an exception as it is in part developed by the community of users who have licensed it. Documentation is a work in progress, but there are many resources available from the community.