which genre to make a tutorial

Started by
27 comments, last by Raloth 20 years, 2 months ago
Even if somebody uses a "tutorial" that is 90% code, it really falls on them to understand what the code does and how it operates. If they don''t they''re only selling themselves short.

I learned network programming basically by a) reading beej''s site and b) literally ripping apart the code for the Everquest server emulator. So much so that I pretty much rewrote the whole thing from scratch and made improvements, eliminated the memory leaks, and my implementation ended up being a lot cleaner and better structured in the end. With that all said and done, I have quite a few ideas on how I could make the code and the design better.

Sure, I could have just copied and pasted the code, but I wouldnt have learned a thing, and thats what matters most.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-
-=[Megahertz]=-
Advertisement
If you would like some help writing the tutorial(s) or writing some code to go along with it, I''d be glad to help out. I think it would be a reason to organize your (our) thoughts and actually create something people can use.
quote:Original post by Impossible
There is already a RTS tutorial out there that''s decent.
<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - impossible on January 15, 2004 11:36:06 PM]</SPAN>

Sorry to revive an old thread but just out of curiosity would you happen to have a link to that tutorial ?

Thanks,
Alex
A Simple FPS like Wolfenstein 3D (using OpenGL or Direct3d) will be great!
The tutorial may include a file loader (for example MD3 files), level loader, User Interface, a console, simple AI and Physics.
I suggest 60% text and 40% code.

Whatever game Raloth you decide good luck!

[edited by - Mephisto on February 15, 2004 10:06:19 AM]
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by Impossible
There is already a RTS tutorial out there that''s decent.
<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - impossible on January 15, 2004 11:36:06 PM]</SPAN>

Sorry to revive an old thread but just out of curiosity would you happen to have a link to that tutorial ?

Thanks,
Alex

Yes, I also need the link to it.

google
see link nr 6.

LizardCPP
i suggest to make an fps or rpg using an opensource engine like ogre,irrlicht....
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
Call me silly, but I think one should follow a traditional development paradigm as a red line through the "tuts". So one starts with a concept, moves to a design, then implements, with the emphasis on the design and the choices made in the design.
I bet people here are more interrested in the manner in which a game is made, than the actual implementation.
There is more than enough code to be found on the net, and too little information about the design of a game. That's what I found when searching for development models applied to games, that there is very little information about that.
Also the design-choice part of of the "tuts" would be very important. Why this module, why that... how do these modules work together... etc etc. THAT'S the thing that would help me a great deal, and I think others too.

I'm planning on writing a few articles myself from the things I found when making design-choices in my projects and problems I encountered.
But before that I actually have to complete a bigger project so I can use that as a red line through the articles.

[edited by - Structural on February 16, 2004 2:44:13 AM]
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Is there any good tutorial about "weather" out there?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement