Mod a retail XBOX to be programmable?

Started by
8 comments, last by 991060 20 years, 3 months ago
I saw the thread about PS2 programming in this forum,it''s very interesting. Considering the programming difficulty,I think start with XBOX may be a good idea. Is it possible to use a mod chip so that I can run my own program on a retial version of XBOX? What''s more important,can I debug on it? Big thanks to all repliers. The sweet of life sucks.
The sweet of life sucks.
Advertisement
matrix mod chip (illegal to use)

although you need the XBox SDK (which you will only be able to obtain by illegal means) which also has an emulator.

I would probably stick with PC games unless you have the cash to shell out as I don''t condone piracy.
the emulator sounds interesting,can I have all the functionality of the XBOX hardware with such emulator? Is it done through the CPU or the emulator can utilize my PC''s hardware accordingly?

The sweet of life sucks.
The sweet of life sucks.
Dont count on the emulator, as the xbox is a current gen console.

If you want a modded xbox the only legal way you''ll use it is by putting linux on it or dev''ing with is a bit of waster of money.
quote:Original post by 991060
the emulator sounds interesting,can I have all the functionality of the XBOX hardware with such emulator? Is it done through the CPU or the emulator can utilize my PC''s hardware accordingly?
Believe it or not, emulators exist for all the next gen systems for developers. They exist since cross debugging is difficult. They usually require special libraries during compile for use with those emulators. Your chances of finding one, however, are equal to a snowball''s chance in heck.

~~~~~
"One Reality is worth one thousand dreams"
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
I do believe there is an opensource XB dev kit project on SourceForge. Ahhh... here we go...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxdk/

OpenXDK is an Open Source, Free, Legal Xbox Development Kit. OpenXDK is being developed to facilitate hobbyist and "homebrew" coding for the Microsoft XBox.

I''m not sure about it''s status... BTW, I have one of the matrix chips and it''s pretty nice. I would imagine the OpenXDK is working, because there is an XBOX media player I''m using, which is hosted on SourceForge (and they are presumably developing it legally).
the OPENXDK is useless, no input yet etc..

you can turn a retail xbox into a dev one, just get a mod chip and run the debug bios (you can keep it good and retail also with the Phoenix Bios Loader)..

id recommend dev on xbox, its so great...just pure C++/DirectX with no windows pump and all that trash.. its basically identical to PC dev also (DX has been optimised a bit, and some functions dont do anything (IE no need to Unlock buffers/BeginScene/EndScene) etc
i tried the XBox SDK from MS a few month ago, i was unable to find an emulator ?!?! (this is also the reason why i deinstalled the SDK again)

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
quote:Original post by DJSnow
i tried the XBox SDK from MS a few month ago, i was unable to find an emulator ?!?! (this is also the reason why i deinstalled the SDK again)

DJSnow
---

Than obviously you are a warez-kiddie and thief because you didn''t have the full rollout package.
@imperil:

>>Than obviously you are a warez-kiddie and thief because you
>>didn''t have the full rollout package.

call me what you want; and yes, i was a thief in this situation - i "borrowed" it from the firm i''m working for when i left office some evening, to play around with it.
press here to hang me now

DJSnow
---
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement