Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Memir

HELP - MY DAD WANTS ME TO MAKE A CRAZY GAME

Memir    129
My dad wants me to make a Massive Multiplayer game like Starcraft (i.e 200 men per player) and with infinite players (>100,000) all at run time, and guess what He wants it in 3D!!!! What should I do? How can I convince him that this is NOT possible? maybe not even feasible by 2010? Ohh yeah and I''m not Blizzard, a mutli-million dollar company with experience in making 8-player MAX. games. I''m just a small-time developer with 3 brothers, who haven''t even made 1 penny out of Games. /Memir

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
ahah, no way in hell that''s possible. there are so many reasons why if you had 100,000 players with 200 units a piece..

you''d have to display thousands of 3d units at once (even at a measly 10 polys per unit that''ll wreak havoc on the bus let alone the CPU!
the memory requirements keeping track of the units (100,000players * 200units per player=20,000,000 units!, that cracks me up just thinking about that)
and finally.. bandwidth.. first off there''s no way the average client can handle it and then the server has to have the bandwidth of the number of clients combined

XBTC    122
Even if this game was codeable and would run on todays machines(which is impossible),would it be fun to play?I don´t think so.
With 100.000 players you couldn´t even realize who is your enemy and who is your friend....But if the map would be the whole world and everybody would play another country it might be fun....

Greets,XBTC!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
If your dad is willing to pay money, I''ll do it.

Facehat    696
I''d like to see how he plans on paying for all the servers he''ll need to run a game of that magnitude. I''m guessing you''d at least need one server for every 25 players. Which means that you''d need about 4000 servers. And I doubt any publisher would want to pay for all those servers for an unproven game company with an idea that''s probably not going to be all that fun.

Plus, there''s simply no way that you''d be able to program a game of that magnitude yourself. Even John Carmack wouldn''t stand a chance against those odds.

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

SonicSilcion    122
My suggestion:
Find some of the design diaries from Shogan:Total War. Originally they wanted around a thousand troops on a single screen, each acting individually, and be playable on-line. They ditched the idea, and probably dicussed hy in their diaries. Basically, if a big-time developer with a decent sized team can''t figure out how to do it, how can four people with a few games under their belt hope to come up with a solution.

BTW, it can be done in real time in 3D. Just tell your dad that everything will be dots. He, he

Neo_Matrix    122
It''s possible. You just have to do it the right way. I have an idea which would probably work perfectly. MAybe when I get some spare time and finish learning OpenGL and get my 3D engine started I''ll give it a go.

Baling    122
Guys and gals, you all are real cool and funny I thought programmers are all processing 1''s and 0''s in their brains, hahaha ...... but you guys made me laugh so loud that it nearly wake my mom and dad up

blue-lightning    122
Your dad wants it 3d and like Starcraft? Why? I''ve never seen a 3d map building game. Does your dad actually want it to be a map building game?

I''m part of an ORPG group, and something like that was our original idea. We changed it a lot. For one because in most map building games everyone starts out weak, then they get really strong. If someone joined in at the end they would die so fast. So instead we decided to make it more individual and have every person be someone in the army. And its also much slower to build things. Eventually if you get strong enough you can become a lord or emperor and tell people what to do and where to build stuff.

Memir    129
Ohh yeah, forgot to mention - He also wants it to run on a P133 without any HW acceleration.

My dad always has these crazy Ideas...

Last Summer it was "Convert 2D to 3D" (Is this possible? - how can you tell whats on the other side of the FLAT image?)
The year before it was "Auto-route" (Map route finder - London''s a BIG city - lot of roads to type in)

If you use a linear interpolation calculation and extrapolate my dad''s ideas. You should come to the conclusion that next Summer (2001), he''ll want me to build a T-1000.

/Memir

Wayfarer    122
Haha...Anon #2 is right! If he''s willing to pay, code it! I''m sure this
is no different in the real world of game programming. People pay millions
of dollars to create ridiculous games that never get published, so just
treat him like a publisher.

Wayfarer

milo    122
quote:
Original post by Memir
My dad always has these crazy Ideas...

Last Summer it was "Convert 2D to 3D" (Is this possible? - how can you tell whats on the other side of the FLAT image?)

You can''t tell what''s on the other side without one or more pictures from that side, but this is a field of research. Things can be determined both by having multiple, different angled pictures and by looking for visual cues in the image, i.e. where are the shadows so where is the light. A few pictures from two angles on the corner of a house can do more than you think. I''ve seen a link somewhere on one of the game developer sites about this. NASA uses similar techniques to take different images and build 3D images of planetary surfaces from orbit.

Mike Roberts
aka milo
mlbobs@telocity.com

Nebula    122
This is feasible and i can prove it because there is already a game out like this. Has anyone here played mankind?

mankind.net:

Its really a neat game there are millions of planets and an entire galaxy to deal with and its in 3D. (directx)
You can enter one of the star systems and even enter onto the planets inside the huge huge amount of systems.

The software to download is about 14 megs and i have a demo account on it.

Try it out sometime.

"One must choose, in life, between making money and spending it. There's no time to do both."

Edited by - Nebula on July 23, 2000 6:43:58 PM

ATD    122
Why are you bitching? I dont get it. You''re dad is hiring you, what is this child labour? Son, build me a game or no allowence!! heh, no offence but just sit him down and discuss the technical possibilities, because your dad obviously doesn''t understand the technology. Is this a family based company or one of your dads pet projects?

Esap1    122
Ive been thinking about it, and it is Definitly "Possible".
HELL NO on a P133, W/o Acceleration, but if each Client had at least an 1GHZ TBird, you could do it. The Server Would have to be Massivly Fast(maybe not that fast, but TONS of Memory). Then you could Seperate the World into Grids, Then Culls Players that wouldnt affect your game and not even send them over the network. Then Maybe send Data every 5 seconds, and Interpolate Between(if Motion or something). Maybe, its "Possible", No way in hell your going to be able to program it yourself though(no offense), fun to think about, Also, whats up with, "My dads asking me to....". Should of just changed it Friend and left it at that.

Eck    7587
Ok, here is your solution. Go to WalMart and put in an application for a gun. Wait the seven days then go pick it up and shoot your dad.

Hope this helps,
Eck

Ok, maybe don''t do that. But tell your dad he needs to do a little more research before he can tell you what to do. The problems with dads is they think they know more about everything than you do. I got lucky with mine because he finally realised that I am the expert in certain areas, and he is an expert in others. Try to explain this to your dad and it should help. Or, have him read these posts on the message board. Most responses were along the lines of, "Ha! Yeah right!" and the only ones saying yeah they could do it were an annonymous poster and an initiate. Good luck with your dad.

Later,
Eck

Memir    129
Ok I''ve applied for an Uzi 9mm, just gotta wait a week j/k

Seriously, I''ve started work on this game (RTS) style. Not 3D, just 2D , 16-bit (640x480). I''m desiging the game so that the Graphics & races can be modified. Think of ''Win-Amp'' crossed with StarCraft. I also plan on making it so that there will be like ''Zones'' about the size of a 128x128 Starcraft Map. Initially each player will be given a Seperate Zone. At the end of each zone it will be Attached to a neighbouring zone. This way If you go to sleep/disconnect, no-one can enter/move inside your zone. And I''ll prolly make a rule which prevents more than 8 people or something from entering your zone.

I''ll have to figure out something to prevent the ''bastards'' who have too much power from crushing the ''newbies''.

/Memir

Big B    337
Sounds like my dad, only he''s a little vague on what it should be. I had a conversation like this with him not to long ago.

Him-"You know what would you should make, a movie that''s a game. It''s like a movie, only it''s a game"

Me-"Geez dad, companies tried those a few years ago, they sucked horribly"

Him-"No,no, Its like a game, only its a movie"

Me-"First, I don''t know any actors, second, i don''t know writers, and third i don''t have a budget. Your whole idea is an ill-concieved nightmare with no hope of getting off the ground."

Him-"I''m sure you could get it to work"

The only thing worse than a father''s lack of anything that resembles a clue is their faith in your abilities.

Nazrix    307
With my father, he has no clue about what it takes to make a game nor does he have much faith in my abilities. Two negatives.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Refering to a previous message, I would like to say Mankind IS NOT LIKE STARCRAFT! And whats more it is slow as anything. Sure it is space-based, ya know, lotsa spaceships(wow!), but it doesn''t resemble an RTS in the slightest.

Making a game that is a cross between Starcraft and half-life would be simply dull. Not to mention as was mentioned before, servers. Thousands of quad-processor servers each running at a clock speed of 1GHz would do though. And, in the ideal world where every single person on the planet has a computer with a RISC processor running at 4GHz, with 10Gbs of RAM and 5Tb HDD, not to mention the 1Gb Voodoo49s.

Sorry, but your Dad will have to settle for either of the two. And please, please don''t let him destroy our beloved Starcraft.

Lucas