Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGibberingFool

Free 50MB hosting + email, FTP, forums... (again)

Hi everyone, We at Gibbering.ne have updated our FREE hosting packages now, and we have a new one tailored for developers only. We are offering: * 50MB webspace * PHP, CGI * Forums * 3 Email accounts * Upload via FTP * Online Support Also, a MySQL database can be thrown in for a small donation, the size of which is your choice. Hope this helps! Visit http://legion.gibbering.net/ [edited by - TheGibberingFool on January 16, 2004 2:53:19 PM]

I''m planning to have an HTTP upload page someday, but not yet. Also, I might stick a few tutorials on FTPing files up, but again, too busy sorting out the main functionality of the site.

The bandwidth is pretty much unlimited. Of course, I''d prefer you not to have anything like media streaming going on :D But other than that, in effect you have unlimited bandwidth.

Free services are good for starting, but be aware you have no guarantee of uptime, backups, and most of all, you have no control over the stuff you put on your web space. I really don't recommend putting source code/private forums/etc on free web space account.
Other then that, its a nobel gesture...

[edited by - HypnoTech on February 2, 2004 12:11:32 PM]

I do weekly backups, but I wouldn''t rely on it just in case The idea is for people to store their personal pages and projects, so source code is in the idea of it all, but always keep a local copy. What you put on your space is your own, provided it''s legal. Any adult stuff *cough* is allowed, but the site will be hidden from the directory so no little kiddies can come accidentally walking in. Also, regarding account withdrawal, I''m a nice person most of the time, so you will get notice. I give people two weeks, and if I don''t hear anything I keep the account but make it unavailable anyway, just in case someone''s decided to go on holiday for a few weeks.

Why I''m doing this... good question. I thought IllicitDev.net had shut down forever, so I suppose it was created as a reaction to that. I am hosted by IllicitDev.net (http://gibbersoft.illicitdev.net/) so when that vanished I set up my own service. Of course, it''s back now, but what the hell. There are a few more reasons, a few of which are explained on my forums, and a few are not.

Anyway, the "why" is immaterial - all that matters is a good service, which I hope you think it is.