Free 50MB hosting + email, FTP, forums... (again)

Started by
16 comments, last by TheGibberingFool 20 years, 2 months ago
Thanks Ratterbox. Will post the URL here when they''re done.

Watch this space :D
__________________________________Peter Lewis ([email=me_AT_pjblewis.com]E-mail[/email] | Portfolio)
Advertisement
Sorry to those who visited to find it dead. There was a minor problem (read "major failure") of one of the hard drives on the server.

Everything''s OK now though.
__________________________________Peter Lewis ([email=me_AT_pjblewis.com]E-mail[/email] | Portfolio)
What are you getting from giving free hosting?
quote:Original post by downgraded
What are you getting from giving free hosting?
Good question
Nothing.
quote:Original post by TheGibberingFool
Nothing.

Maybe I''m being cynical but... why?

Do you have any guarantees of service? eg: If someone got a site, coiuld it be withdraw at zero notice?
Free services are good for starting, but be aware you have no guarantee of uptime, backups, and most of all, you have no control over the stuff you put on your web space. I really don't recommend putting source code/private forums/etc on free web space account.
Other then that, its a nobel gesture...

[edited by - HypnoTech on February 2, 2004 12:11:32 PM]
----------------------------------------------------------------www.firstrategames.com
I do weekly backups, but I wouldn''t rely on it just in case The idea is for people to store their personal pages and projects, so source code is in the idea of it all, but always keep a local copy. What you put on your space is your own, provided it''s legal. Any adult stuff *cough* is allowed, but the site will be hidden from the directory so no little kiddies can come accidentally walking in. Also, regarding account withdrawal, I''m a nice person most of the time, so you will get notice. I give people two weeks, and if I don''t hear anything I keep the account but make it unavailable anyway, just in case someone''s decided to go on holiday for a few weeks.

Why I''m doing this... good question. I thought IllicitDev.net had shut down forever, so I suppose it was created as a reaction to that. I am hosted by IllicitDev.net (http://gibbersoft.illicitdev.net/) so when that vanished I set up my own service. Of course, it''s back now, but what the hell. There are a few more reasons, a few of which are explained on my forums, and a few are not.

Anyway, the "why" is immaterial - all that matters is a good service, which I hope you think it is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement