Feasibility of C# for a small 2D online RPG?

Started by
8 comments, last by Maega 20 years, 3 months ago
I''m designing a small 2D online RPG. It''s going to hold less than 100 people at a time. Is C# going to be decent enough to use? Or should I just go stick with C++?
Advertisement
Depends, are you using DirectX? If so, there shouldn''t be any reason why C# would not be capable of doing this particular task.

http://www.runuo.com/

Ultima Online Server Emulator written in C#. Download the source and take a look.
Its possible, no l;ess posible then c++!

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ A upcoming space RTS codenamed Gruntacktica . }{ . }

Following the new trend:
I AM NOT COWSARENOTEVIL!

The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
quote:Original post by wyrd
Depends, are you using DirectX? If so, there shouldn''t be any reason why C# would not be capable of doing this particular task.

http://www.runuo.com/

Ultima Online Server Emulator written in C#. Download the source and take a look.

That answers my question. I guess I had forgot to mention DirectX, but I figured it was to be infered :D.

Thanks

Should work fine, me and friend wrote a 2D multiplayer game in C# w/ directX and it worked out fine (though game still not totally done)
Does it run at acceptable speeds?

quote:Original post by Maega
Does it run at acceptable speeds?

I am currently working on something along those lines except that I use a 3D world.

It was started in C++ and moved to C# and then enhanced and more developed. I am still working on it, as it isn''t close to finished.

I should note that I get 5 less FPS using C# and MDX over it''s C++ equivelant.. but then again the C# version has more options so it''s hard to gear.
Nice .

I was more concerned with performance. C# does look quicker to develop in.. thats one of the reasons Im considering it.

The speed of C# isn''t much of an issue when you''re making a 2D game. It''s only an issue when you''re doing insane math calculations in a 3D world.
which will be rectified when c#2.0 arrives with template support.

i cannot wait.
-jonnii=========jon@voodooextreme.comwww.voodooextreme.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement