Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hog

some advice please

I am thinking about a new project to continue learning DX9 in VB.NET, so am posting on various sites for all the knowledge I can find I want to create a program that will display an island surrounded by sea. The user will be able to control the camera and basically fly around the island and a bit of the sea both up and down etc. So.... 1. I am trying to understand how to create a landscape in the shape of an island using Anim8or. 2. I do not know whether the sea should also be created in Anim8or or whether it is fancy code in VB.NET/DX9 which creates the sea. 3. I have not learned collision detection on a mesh yet? I know and understand some methods used with sprites tho. Any advice would be most welcomed

The sea part all depends on how in depth you want it. It could just be a static, non-moving ocean with a texture, or it could be static with an animated texture.

However, you could make it completely dynamic, and make the ocean have breaking waves and things like that. This is quite difficult, though. Here is a very good thread about it (which includes a link to an excellent lecture on the topic).

For collision detection, there are numerous methods you can use, the simplest of which would be bounding-sphere collision. Bounding-box collision is very, very easy, too. D3DX actually has a very nice function that will calculate a mesh''s bounding sphere or bounding box for you. Just do a search of this forum for for ''collision detection'', and you will find loads of info.