Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ncsu121978

winsock

ncsu121978    1344
Does anyone know of a good library or have written a good library to use winsock. If so then I would like to get my hands on it if you dont mind. I need to do some network program to send game info over the net and all the stuff I have read on it make it sound very frightening. I know if I use a library then it adds extra overhead to my program, but I am not worried about this. If you can help me out then leave a message here or send me an email djsteffe@unity.ncsu.edu "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail themGames Productions

blue-lightning    122
one comes with mfc, but I think its just easier to use straight winsock. You may think its easier in the beginning to use a helper library, but when you want to resolve a name without blocking you''ll have some problems.

Dogfood    122

Winsock''s not hard to use, if you''re planning on porting to UNIX later be wary of the WSA* calls that allow you to use Windows message processing, but if you''re just planning on using Windows, its simpler to do it the WSA* way.

I wrote a client/server message passing library on top for my stuff, if you''re interested in details, send email. I would recommend something simple to isolate you from details(especially client/server connection details).

Dak Lozar    122
I have a generic wrapper class that I have coded around winsock.
It is simple and may help you develop a class that works for you...
It has simple calls like DHLSock::Open(), which sets up a listen socket waiting for clients,
and DHLSock::Read... You get the ideal.
Just send me email to my home account, that way I''m sure to send it to you.
Again, it is just a wrapper around the real generic winsock stuff

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser