Woody, Sarge and Sid

Started by
15 comments, last by Monder 20 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by uNiQue0815
much more comfortable than any packaging system... but takes some (and some more) compile-time :D

About 8 years of linux packaging system development refutes that...
Advertisement
quote:Original post by C-Junkie
About 8 years of linux packaging system development refutes that...

one bad thing about packaging systems is, that they depend on EVERYTHING being installed with them.
if one doesn''t always do so, the whole packaging system doesn''t work properly any more. so many unmet dependencies, alhtough every single needed is properly installed (some by source, some by package)...
let the system do a dependency check & "repair" ?? HA HA.

so what to do, if there''s no up-to-date software package ?
or if there''s no precompiled package for your system ?

the only drawback of source-installation, i''ve experienced so far, is (for some apps) a lot of compile time [XFree86, KDE !! :D].

but, hey ! i''m young ! i''ve got time ! :D
one bad thing about packaging systems is, that they depend on EVERYTHING being installed with them.
if one doesn''t always do so, the whole packaging system doesn''t work properly any more. so many unmet dependencies, alhtough every single needed is properly installed (some by source, some by package)...

er, ever tried debian?

the only drawback of source-installation, i''ve experienced so far, is (for some apps) a lot of compile time [XFree86, KDE !! :D].

I think I know what you''re saying. You''re problem is that if you compile some base libs/program yourself instead of installing the package then any package that depends on what you compiled cannot be installed as it has missing dependancies.

If there is no up-to-date? That is a problem - you might check the experimental repository, but usually there is a good reason if the package hasn''t been updated.

If there is no package at all? Then compile it yourself as depending packages don''t exist and don''t matter.

I think you''re wasting you''re time for no real benefit.

Image loads when I''m online since I''m too lazy to find a permanent host.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Heh,

If you want to do things mostly by source, go for Gentoo or OpenBSD.

If you want a fairly up-to-date desktop system go with Debian unstable/testing and update every now and then, or go with Fedora.

The only time I''ve been bitten in the ass by Debian unstable/testing is by using the packaged kernels, which had some issues between some features I was using in a previous version -- all of which could''ve been corrected easily by just building everything manually.

Also, your question about deviating from package management and the actual details involved in ''notifying'' the package management system about your ''installed from source instead of via the package manager'' isn''t an issue under Debian ( nor most package managers if you know them well enough ).

.z
quote:Original post by C-Junkie
er, ever tried debian?

well... i think my first posting answered that question already...

quote:Original post by Doc
If there is no up-to-date? That is a problem - you might check the experimental repository, but usually there is a good reason if the package hasn''t been updated.

If there is no package at all? Then compile it yourself as depending packages don''t exist and don''t matter.

I think you''re wasting you''re time for no real benefit.

yes... sure... you''re right about that. but even back "in those days" when i had to use debian''s packages, ''cause i didn''t know how to compile anything, i had lots of problems with the packaging system...

... now i''m used to compiling everything myself... and i think i''ll stick with that.
Heh,

Lets put it this way, I have had the least issues with Debian packages out of every single package manager on every *nix I''ve ever used ( probably RPMs being the notorious shit-can of all package managers IMO ) -- and believe me that is quite a few package management systems. No, this doesn''t count ''ports'' from *BSD or Gentoo ( although any OS without binary updates can keep on walking, nothing like compiling your whole OS from source when you have some security patches to apply, etc -- no thanks ).

Damn near the only packages I ever had issues with on Debian, were just compatibility issues between features and that basically boiled down to me being lazy and not compiling my own / using make-kpkg ( as I semi-stated above ).

.z

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement