Visual C++ Does Not Always Pop Up Class Functions

Started by
4 comments, last by deadlydog 20 years, 3 months ago
You know how in Visual C++ 6 if I declared the following: class MyClass { public: MyClass(); ~MyClass(); Initialize(); Destroy(); DoSomething(); ... } then in my code later I typed: MyClass TheClass; TheClass. that little window should pop up telling me the functions/options I have to choose from (it would list Initialize(), Destoy(), DoSomething(), etc.). How come it doesn''t always pop up. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won''t. I do have all the includes and everything right. I can compile and run my program fine, just the window does not want to pop up some of the time. Usually I just continue working and later on when I try it will start working again. Anybody know why it does this or how to fix it? I don''t really care if it does this for the classes I declare, but when I''m using something like cin. ,I would rather have the list pop up then have to search throughout the help files to find the function I want. - God is my favorite fictional character
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Advertisement
Many people say that in VC6 only files that are part of your project will show up (ie: put the .h files in your project for standard stuff, Windows stuff, and DirectX stuff). I've never put windows.h and it's releated files in my project, but the Win32 structures and function arguments tend to work. So, maybe they have to be part of your project. In .Net I don't think they have to be part of your project.

After that, yes, it's random. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't, even on the same line. Sometimes when used inside a bracket for a function argument, it won't work even though it works outside the function call. Sometimes it does work in those cases.

In VC6, sometimes the information is wrong. Consistantly CreateWindow is missing one of it's parameters for me. Sometimes the yellow popup that shows the function description (based on comments near the declaration/definition), shows the text for the wrong functions, wrong variables, etc.

In .Net I haven't seen the information be wrong (yet), but it is random whether or not it decides to show anything or not. Autocomplete is similarly randomly working or not.

It's a great feature, when it works... unfortunately, it doesn't always work.

[edited by - namethatnobodyelsetook on January 16, 2004 7:03:08 PM]
If you have to cash to spend, Visual Assist may be a good choice.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
The little window you are talking about is called Intellisense. In VC.Net, a .ncb file is created along with your project that contains all the intellisense info for the program. Sometimes if it isn''t working, you can delete this file, and VC will rebuild it next time you open the program. However I havn''t used vc6 in a while and I don''t know if it stores intellisense info the same way.
Sometimes if your code above isnt completely correct. (I cant really give an example right off the top of my head) the little popup window wont appear. Usually fixing the issues with the offending code will get it to work again.

Although there are some cases where it just wont work.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-
-=[Megahertz]=-
From what I can see the Intellisense still isn''t up to par in VC7.1. I don''t know whats it like in the new VC (would that be 8.0?)

It chokes on the following things:
* templates throw it for a loop sometimes
* namespace aliasing just flat out doesn''t work at all.

Very annoying if you ask me.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement