Know C, want to learn C++, which book is right

Started by
17 comments, last by dark_stalker 23 years, 8 months ago
I already know C (most of it), and my goal from the QBASIC days on was to learn C++.. I already know lots of VB, so most of the OOP wont be hard to learn.. I just wanted to know which book would be best for me.. thanks!
Online RPGs.. Almost like another life! Except for whenswitching back to real life, sometimes I forget there isn'ta profanity filter..
Advertisement
You can try ''Teach Yourself C++ Third Edition'' By Hrbert Schildt.
It''s pretty good.
If you havent covered C properly you might want
''C++ from the Ground Up'' by the same author.
And if you think you''ll have any trouble with OOP design,
get
''Design Patterns'' I''ve forgotten the authors.

-Mezz
Try "thinking in c++" by Bruce eckel.
You can read his book online on his website www.bruceeckel.com
It''a very good book and it covers all C++ standards with a lot of examples.

Good luck,
Yu Ominae
Wow! Free books! Thanks!

BTW, there are 2 editions of the Thinking in C++
and 2 editions of Thinking in Java!!

Download the Java one and make a in-game scripting language or something!
Online RPGs.. Almost like another life! Except for whenswitching back to real life, sometimes I forget there isn'ta profanity filter..
if u know c and vb ... its not "that" hard to get started in C++ ... at least if u look at some MSDN-Library-examples ...

the step from C to C++ isnt as big as the step from Basic to C (imo) ....

and u wont learn to use C++ with all of its features for your special problems from a book

but that are just my opinions ...
Trust me, buy "Sam''s Teach your self C++ in 24 hours (second edition)" (author: Jesse Liberty)
That''s the one I''m using, and it teaches you almost all of what you need. It includes the DGJPP compiler along with it.

KA...
ME...
HA...
ME...
HA!!!
KA...ME...HA...ME...HA!!!
From what Sams books I have read, and thats quite a few, they aren''t very good IMHO.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
you already know VB so OOP wont be hard to learn? Um, from what I understand VB is not yet a fully object oriented language, not untill release 7 will it include inheritance, polymorphism and encapsualtion capabilities. By all means, if you want to learn c++ as a language dont get a book based on c++ and the MFC''s, make sure it is a book based purley on the language of c++. You dont need all that microsoft crap to jumble up your mind until you understand what a class, let alone an MFC, actually is.
I know what a class is.. mind you, its like a 'Type' from VB..
(A user defined data type) From what I understand, you've never
used Visual Basic..

// a class.. (C++)class Person {      char Name      int Age      etc, etc};--------------------------------------------------------------'Visual Basic 'Type'' the ' is a VB comment, incase you didnt know'typePublic Type Person      Name                Age                 etc, etc::End Type        

And by the way, everyone has different opinions..
yours seem the best to you. Maybe next time you
oppose someone's opinion, have some info to back
your opinion u , body really cares about
your opinion unless thiers is the same.

(sorry, I'm 13 and D+ed english)

-Phil

(And by the way, I admit Im 13 and I am a newbie at programming
games.. Im OK at programming)

Edited by - dark_stalker on July 23, 2000 11:12:16 PM
quote:

oppose someone''s opinion, have some info to back
your opinion u ,

End quote

-The ''u'' was supposed to spell ''up'', I dont know what happened
:-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement