Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnnyboy

optimized polygons/texture mapping

johnnyboy    109
Hi... Using VC++ with OpenGL, is there any way of writing an ''optimized'' mesh (later to be used w/texture mapping)? Specifically -- say I have a 100x100 landscape "wireframe grid". I.e., 100 lines across, 100 lines down. But being represented as polygons (i.e., 100x100 = 10,000 seperate polygons, so that later on, can change the height of various polygons, etc). However, (obviously), it is really, really slow. (Basically just using the addpolygon method). Is there a better way of doing that? I''m thinking of perhaps using some sort of equation, but how would I go about doing that (kind of new to this, so any good online references would be ok too). thx!

lilKen    122
100x100=20.000 triangles wich isnt that much for nowadays video cards , anyway if you find performance to be somewhat low, you should consider some sort of space partitioning scheme (ie octrees, quadtrees , bsp trees) , another thing to do is not to render data in imediate mode, go for vertex arrays , buffer them, also check out different algorithms on terrain surface rendering based on LOD