• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JahToasted

gluUnProject to z=0

This topic is 5244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, this game is mostly 2d. All of the spaceships stay on the z=0 plane. Now I'm trying to use the mouse to tell my little spaceship where to go. So I punch the mouse coordinates into gluUnProject like so:
  gluUnProject ( (double) mouse_x, 
                 (double) mouse_y, 0.0,
                 modelMatrix, projMatrix, viewPort,
                 &x, &y, &z );

And I get back x,y,z. But the z is 1800 (where the camera is) and not 0 like I want. So now I suppose that I need to find out where a vector coming from the camera, passing through the x,y,z from the gluUnProject above, intersects the z=0 plane. How do I do this? Unless of course there's an easier way... Thanks in advance. [edited by - JahToasted on January 17, 2004 2:34:49 AM]

Advertisement
Nevermind, I figured it out.

For those who have the same problem here is the solution. This is useful if you want to convert mouse coordinates into opengl coordinates:

// Position View Up Vector
gluLookAt(mX, mY, mZoom, mX,mY, 0, 0, 1, 0);

glGetDoublev ( GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelMatrix ) ;
glGetDoublev ( GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projMatrix ) ;
glGetIntegerv ( GL_VIEWPORT, viewPort ) ;

gluUnProject ( mouse_x,
screen_height - mouse_y,
0.0 , modelMatrix, projMatrix, viewPort,
&gl_x, &gl_y, &z );

gl_x = mX + (mZoom * (gl_x - mX) / (mZoom - z))) ;
gl_y = mY + (mZoom * (gl_y - mY) / (mZoom - z))) ;

gl_x and gl_y will be the mouse''s coordinates at z=0. For different values of z I''m guessing this would be what you''d need to do:

GLdouble gl_z = 100.0 ;
gl_x = mX + ((mZoom - gl_z) * (gl_x - mX) / (mZoom - gl_z - z))) ;
gl_y = mY + ((mZoom - gl_z) * (gl_y - mY) / (mZoom - gl_z - z))) ;

Of course that''s only a guess, I haven''t tried it, and I''m not going to since all I needed was the z=0 case.

I hope this helps someone who was struggling like I was.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!