Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code_Dark

Creating Windows Screensavers

Code_Dark    429
I have (as some of you may have seen) a nice little rotating 3D cube that I made using OpenGL... I was just wondering how I could make it into a Windows Screensaver? I know that the extension is .scr, or something like that, but once I change the file extension what do I do next? Where do I place it? Meh, very confusing. Can someone help me out? - CD
Check out the 3D Cube!

vNistelrooy    140
Just change the extension to .scr and place it in c:\Windows
btw, why didn''t you enable depth testing?!

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

Senses777    756
Excuse me, but under the GNU general public license, don''t you have to give the code out? Since you just claimed it was GNU general public license, I''d like you to send me the source.

vNistelrooy    140
quote:
Original post by Senses777
Excuse me, but under the GNU general public license, don''t you have to give the code out? Since you just claimed it was GNU general public license, I''d like you to send me the source.

He doesn''t ahve to send anyone the source. He just have to make the source public.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

C-Junkie    1099
Now there''s an interesting complication.

(IANAL) No, he doesn''t actually have to release the code. For one simple reason: He''s not actually bound by the conditions of the license. ASSUMING, that is, that he wrote the entire program, then he owns the entire copyright.

Hmmm, maybe somebody should email the FSF and ask about this one.

I''ve never quite understood why people insist on making screensavers that complicated way, as outlined in the article (that is, doing all the work yourself, with command line parsing and miniature window management, and so on). Why not simply do what Microsoft recommend that you do, namely to just link your program with the scrnsave.lib library, and get everything for free.

That''s what I do, and it works great. All you have to think about is how to draw the screensaver. Window management, command line management and configuration dialog management is all handled by the library - and it''s the right way to do it according to the screensaver specification.

So... what am I missing?

Thunder_Hawk    314
Well, because scrnsave.lib is a static library compiled by Microsoft, I can't use it with Borland's compiler (and no you cannot use implib).

Here's a site dedicated to screensaver programming.

[EDIT] Heh, the page referenced by JimboC can be found on this site.

[edited by - Thunder_Hawk on January 17, 2004 3:17:41 PM]

Thunder_Hawk    314
I looked for quite a while but never found one. BTW, I'd prefer to use scrnsave.lib if I had the option. I've been considering writing my own lib to emulate everything it does (reverse engineering?), including the same functions for code portability, but I haven't really worked with screensavers enough to justify doing all of that...yet...

[EDIT] ROFLMAO, I just did a google search for "borland scrnsave.lib clone", and my profile on GDNet is the sole result

[edited by - Thunder_Hawk on January 18, 2004 10:45:00 AM]

krez    443
it isn''t hard to make a screensaver, all you have to do is handle a few command-line arguments (to see if it is a preview, or a regular screensaver run, or the "settings" dialog), and make a program that is pretty and terminates on a mousemove or keypress. it''ll take you longer to find that LIB than just type it up.

Thunder_Hawk    314
Just thinking about this got me to start writing my own version of scrnsave.lib. I think I''ve got a pretty good clone working now...Of course it hasn''t been tested from every angle yet, so there still might be a bug or two. It''s a little more difficult than it sounds simply because of the haphazard formating of the command-line arguements and a few subtleties regarding different versions of windows (that and the fact that I''m only loosely versed in Win32 API).