MP3

Started by
4 comments, last by ao 23 years, 8 months ago
ok, I''m getting sick of searching the forums for anything on MP3 because it keeps timing out on me with some error. So don''t say "why didn''t you search, I answered this before" I have seen a few mp3 players with source, but I have never seen a document describing the mp3 format. I would like to find that magical document because I don''t feel like sifting through someones code trying to figure out the format. I betchya, you probable have to buy this document right? Well if anyone has written their own doc''s that would be ok too. ao
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com
Advertisement
Your right. You have to buy it.

The document number is : ISO/IEC 11172-3

"INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - CODING OF MOVING PICTURES AND ASSOCIATED AUDIO FOR DIGITAL STORAGE MEDIA AT UP TO ABOUT 1,5 Mbit/s - PART 3: AUDIO"

It sells for $154

http://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?COUNTRY_CODE=US&LANG_CODE=ENGL&document_name=ISO%2FIEC%2011172%2D3

"You know you're obsessed with computer graphics when you're outside and you look up at the trees and think, "Wow! That's spectacular resolution!""
IIRC, there were some info about it on the programming pages (try programming->audio). Alternatively you could have a look at the documents at Fraunhofer Institut, who invented this algo. Don''t remember their domain name either.
btw, when searching, you should explicitely select the forum you want to search in. I suggest you try it in both the "Music and Audio" and the "DirectX" section.

HTH

pi~
Jan PieczkowskiBrainwave Studios
To furthur this thread, suppose one coughs up $154 for the document. They learn MP3, and eventually design software utilizing it. Now, do they have to pay a licensing fee to whoever created the algorithm (Fraunhofer Institute), or are they free to use it however they wish? Thanks.
Yes you still have to pay a license fee. The algorithm is patented. However, the license allows you to use the -decoding- algorithm for free in free software. See mp3licensing.com.

nathany.com

Edited by - nathany on July 23, 2000 6:10:13 PM
Hi, thanks for the info.

Oh ya, I do explicitely select the forum I want to search in, that search thing is just screwed... well for me it works 10% of the time.
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement