Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jim bob

Versioning format

I know that a program has the following versioning format: major.minor.release.build Is that correct? Did I miss anything? My question is, how and when do you update these numbers? Do you update the build every time you compile.. no matter how small the change was? How high can that number go? What about release? Do the numbers "rollover" into the next.. more important number, or no? In other words, do the numbers have ranges? Would 0.9.9.99 rollover to 1.0.0.0 or no? If anyone could explain how these numbers are used, I''d appreciate it. Thank you.

Everytime I compile in release mode I increase the build number. As I don''t use a "release" version number I manually increase the other two, what is very very rare, I''m at 0.2 now >_<.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

Exactly how you number versions matters very little if you''re not working in a large group of people. Version numbers are useful to QA and testing people, and they are useful for coordinating lots of developers; if it''s just you, or you and a few of your friends, pretty much anything will do.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke