Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

godsnow

Walking in a game

godsnow    122
Can someone help me please. I have been trying to get a man to walk in my game for the last month and can not get it done. I am using VB6 and DX8. On this site there is a program call Walker, that I thing is just what I am looing for, but the code is not there. If anyone have the code for the walker I would love to get it. Thank you

orcblood    122
Are you sure its on this site? I think that this site is C++ and from what your saying your trying to program with visual basic... I dont know that the two are compatible?

What I can tell you is this, make a camera and set variables to define values such as

Camera.MoveFoward (GLfloat Distance); 

(this is how you would do this with C++ and a C++ header file [a .h file] I believe however Im not quite sure). Basically what these variables will do is create a place where your game can refer to when its trying to move the camera foward (while reading from camera.h or whatever your game camera file is going to be called). Once this occurs you can bind the action to a key such as

if(keys[your-key-here]
{
Camera.MoveFoward (-1.0f);
DrawGLScene();
break;
}

This is, however, for C++ and I have absolutly no idea how to program OpenGL with VB (Im assuming that you possibly know how). I am in no way an excellent programmer and I dont know if the above code would even work I am actually quite a newbie here so your guess is as good as mine unfortunatly . Its just a quick example (someone on here will probably have some links or tips for you). I hope this helps, someone probably will argue with me over the above code but Ive seen it done with several fairly good tuts out there on camera classes and an opengl C++ program.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out!

[edited by - orcblood on January 17, 2004 10:37:15 AM]

Deranged    668
quote:
Original post by orcblood
Are you sure its on this site? I think that this site is C++ and from what your saying your trying to program with visual basic... I dont know that the two are compatible?

If I remember correctly most NeHe tutorials are ported to vb. BUT! Goto the Dirext-X Forum Not NeHe's OpenGL forum.

[Mercury Software] [Google!] [ Look I DONT Follow Trends ]

[edited by - DerAngeD on January 17, 2004 10:36:48 AM]

orcblood    122
Bah you mean I could have used vb instead of all this other long complex stuff? ah well I loke complex stuff... I never knew that - sorry for giving the wrong info godsnow!