hardware accelerated 2D games engine

Started by
18 comments, last by haaf 20 years, 1 month ago
That looks sweet I''m gonna give it a try.

do you have a game or demo to showcase? Can we submit to you demos and little games using your stuff?

Everything is better with Metal.

Advertisement
what i have done is doing everything in system ram, then lock the backbuffer and using assembly code to blit from system ram to back buffer, then flip().
but i found that the fps lock to monitor refresh rate.
if i blit primary surface directly without waiting vertical retrace, i can go higher fps than monitor refresh. but just sometime will see some shearing effect.

how to use 2d hardware accel. to blit in directx? putting everything in vram? and use 2d hardware accel. can go beyond monitor refresh rate???
thanks
quote:Original post by oliii
That looks sweet I'm gonna give it a try.

do you have a game or demo to showcase? Can we submit to you demos and little games using your stuff?

Some demo- and some commercial games are in development now.

Sure, please submit your stuff! Let's share our projects with each other, this will benefit us all.

Within a week the projects page will appear on the site specially for submitting yours and viewing other's stuff )

[edited by - haaf on February 10, 2004 5:14:31 AM]
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
what i have done is doing everything in system ram, then lock the backbuffer and using assembly code to blit from system ram to back buffer, then flip().
but i found that the fps lock to monitor refresh rate.
if i blit primary surface directly without waiting vertical retrace, i can go higher fps than monitor refresh. but just sometime will see some shearing effect.

how to use 2d hardware accel. to blit in directx? putting everything in vram? and use 2d hardware accel. can go beyond monitor refresh rate???
thanks

HGE doesn''t use traditional 2D blitting, it renders textured polygons... So I''m not the person who can help

The refresh rate synchronization is turned on/off
in the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS structure used with
CreateDevice call (DX8 SDK).
thanks. i got what you mean

currently i am developing a pure 16 bit software graphic engine without using any 3D and hardware accel. features.
because most of my games are RTS games, like StarCraft. 30fps is enough I think.

quote:Original post by haaf
quote:Original post by Yosepp
hmm, hardware accelerated: 6 fps on 1,2 gHz AMD 128MB ATI RADEON 9200SE DirectX 9.0. Very strange!

[edited by - Yosepp on February 9, 2004 12:53:52 PM]

Yeah, this is strange for sure
The engine runs fine on a lot of video cards it was tested with.
And what code produces these 6 fps?
What OS are you running?
Have you any ideas what is the problem?

OK, solved it! I had set the Direct3D quality in display settings to maximum. Now i get about 250 fps. I encourage people to try it!
I would, if I could use rotated sprites

I want to spice up this demo, with as little effort as I can. So, I need, stretchable sprites, and rotated sprites. Stretched sprites, you already do them, but not rotated sprites

quote:Original post by oliii
I would, if I could use rotated sprites

I want to spice up this demo, with as little effort as I can. So, I need, stretchable sprites, and rotated sprites. Stretched sprites, you already do them, but not rotated sprites

Use hgeSprite::RenderEx function to render rotated sprites
d''oh. sorry

HGE 1.3 has been released. The new release features hgeDistortionMesh and hgeParticleManager helper classes. hgeDistortionMesh class allows you to create lenses, water, page
wraps, various twists and even real-time morphing effects. hgeParticleManager class takes care of all your particle systems and automates their management and rendering. Also GUI architecture was updated to allow highly interactive animated user interfaces. Plus there''re lots of minor improvements and features.

Visit: http://hge.relishgames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement