Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asdasd12345

What is a tile-based game?

I am trying to make a platform game and I am wondering what is the best way to go about doing so. I have heard using tiles is a good way to do this but am not entirely sure what this means. Is it making a 2d array of blocks of the screen and then filling it with number that represent different things, like a wall is 1, door is 2, ect?

For example, i have heard that PacMan is a tile based game, but I notice when pacman moves he just doesnt move from one tile to another, he can turn directions anytime he wants, so he could be in 2 blocks at once, this part is confusing to me.

I thought pac-man was path-based, where the backgrounds are just bitmaps and where he can/can''t go is controlled by a path-graph

George D. Filiotis

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

Regardless of what Pac-Man really is, tile-based maps don't mean movement is tile-based. That kind of movement hasn't been used for ages.

[edited by - Xanth on January 17, 2004 1:40:49 PM]

[edited by - Xanth on January 17, 2004 1:41:12 PM]

quote:
Original post by asdasd12345
For example, i have heard that PacMan is a tile based game, but I notice when pacman moves he just doesnt move from one tile to another, he can turn directions anytime he wants, so he could be in 2 blocks at once, this part is confusing to me.

In tile based games an object can be between two different blocks.

just because the world is tile based doesn't mean the objects in the world need to be also.

EDIT: I was confused about that at first also, came from playing too many old RPG's.

[edited by - googlyeyes on January 17, 2004 1:44:17 PM]

yeah you can have tile based maps but do per pixel collision detection, having regionmaps assosciated to different tiles even, if you dont want different tiles to be just 0 or 1 when it comes to allowing the player to move to it