is t possible to make a game and THEN make the story?

Started by
15 comments, last by IFooBar 20 years, 3 months ago
well? say for an RPG. Is it absolutely essential that the story comes first, or can you start other things before actually fine graining the story and just having an idea of what teh story is going to be like?

| C++ Debug Kit :: GameDev Kit :: DirectX Tutorials :: 2D DX Engine | TripleBuffer Software |
| Plug-in Manager :: System Information Class :: D3D9 Hardware Enum | DevMaster :: FlipCode |

[size=2]aliak.net
Advertisement
I don''t think you would need to make the entire story but you would need something to base your graphics, world items, npc''s, monsters on.

"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"

Grellin
"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"GrellinC++ Game Programming
It depends on how modular you make your product. Of yourse you can make an engine without having any clue of what to do with it later. It all depends on how modular you make it. Of course, if you make a turn-based strategy engine, it will never be great at delivering first-person action, so you''d at least limit the genre. (Coming to think of it... what was that Bluebyte game called? Infestation? that was cool.)
yes and no.

you could theoretically create an entire world with creatures, locations, items, etc, and then build a story around them. hell, you could even create hundreds of mini-stories/quests that all take place in the persistant world. take a good at morrowwind for something like this. also, if you made the system friendly enough, end users could create their own stories and put them on the net.

seriously, check out morrowwind. it''s bloody amazing and is impossible to ever complete, due to all the user created content, and the shear size of the world in general. just don''t start off as a wizard as it takes a ridiculous amount of time to level up!
just to clarify for other readers, are you refering to a "game engine" before story or "game engine with a fully populated world" before story?
quote:Original post by MENTAL
yes and no.

you could theoretically create an entire world with creatures, locations, items, etc, and then build a story around them. hell, you could even create hundreds of mini-stories/quests that all take place in the persistant world. take a good at morrowwind for something like this. also, if you made the system friendly enough, end users could create their own stories and put them on the net.

seriously, check out morrowwind. it''s bloody amazing and is impossible to ever complete, due to all the user created content, and the shear size of the world in general. just don''t start off as a wizard as it takes a ridiculous amount of time to level up!

LOL. My character is so advanced in magic and fighting that I can kill just about everything. I''ve found almost every rare item in the game, now chipping away at BloodMoon. But gosh, you''r right, Morrowind is one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

As far as the story issue, yah you can make a game engine that is non-graphics specific. That''s the goal of an engine.

It''''s coming...

Blox - an old new world at www.jaren.org
It''s coming...Blox - an old new world at www.jaren.org
quote:Original post by MENTAL
just to clarify for other readers, are you refering to a "game engine" before story or "game engine with a fully populated world" before story?

game engine with a fully populated world
[size=2]aliak.net
actually, more like game engine with characters designed, magic spells in place, quests designed, and ven a battle system in place. But no core story line.

[size=2]aliak.net
Sure, games are made all the time without stories. Generly its a good idea to have some kind of story to connect everything in the game world together.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Yes you can create the world and say "here is the frogman village", "there is where the giant ants live" etc etc and create places and creatures etc without doing any story at all.
-solo (my site)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement