Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

O_O123

Is 18 too old to be starting?

Yes I know another age topic O_O sorry I'm 18 and just wondering if 18 is too old to be starting game development. I know some guys 13-15 talking about things I don't even have a clue O_O And making awesome games and stuff. Anyway I'm in my first year of college taking up computer programming. I'm learning VB6 and Java at school and probably deal with that C++ thing whenever I'm ready O_O. [edited by - O_O123 on January 17, 2004 2:34:48 PM]

Nah, it isn't a problem. I started at a young age, but my dad started at 40, and he's doing fine. Actually, at an older age, you comprehend things quicker (according to statistics). Which means, as long as you're not too stupid (;\) you should catch on pretty quick. Besides, at 18, well... its not too old... Anyway... for starters, click here. Pretty nice asp that allows for html in posts... ANYWAY! Gotta get back to work...

EDIT:: Oh yeah, I was kind of jealous of those 8-year-old C++ ppl... I started javascript when I was 9 and C++ at 11... I kind of felt bad, but as long as one doesn't get too "green with envy" (PS: What's up with that? Why is envy associated with green? I like green... meanies...), then you'll be alright.
Another thing: those who start younger usually also quit younger, as I have seen. They're usually not really into it, just influenced by parents, but some REALLY have the knack, and its nice to work with THEM sometimes, as, well, its usually a big learning experience. Good luck, fellow brethren of the compiler.

EDIT2:: Turn that frown up-side-down!
PS: I only have a minor 10-percent ADD. So be nice!

[edited by - jtmerchant on January 17, 2004 2:49:31 PM]

[edited by - jtmerchant on January 17, 2004 2:53:38 PM]

If you''re still interested in games in general (I know I am, at age of 24 :D), then you should have no fundamental problems in becoming a game developer. However, learning the said profession is very long progress, and it is, by any means, not easy to make great games.

Here, at GDNet, you have a whole network of (mostly) helpful people, whom you can ask help from.

-Nik

You are wasting your time by wondering is it too late to start or not. Stop wondering and start acting. It''s never too late man. In 18 years you are much smarter and your logic works much better so you''ll learn fast especially you have experience in programming. Buy your self a good books and start studying!

Good luck.

---------------------------------------
People fear what they don''t understand.

Aye... if anything, those who start earlier have both advantages and disadvantages... and the disadvantages actually outweigh the advantages most of the time.

You see, what a kid does when they start very early is learn the basics of how a programming language works... but generally, it takes them a long time. When you get older, the time it takes to do that is a fraction of the time when you''re a kid (for a variety of reasons), so you catch up quick.

That was the (note: temporary) advantage of starting early. The disadvantage is that, at that age, most kids don''t think in terms of structure, design, and planning. They can hack something out, but will ultimately fail or become distracted and lose track when they come across a long-term project. They then have to re-learn what they knew, putting it into the terms of structured programming. Some get frustrated with failed large projects before they realize that they have to learn structure, and quit entirely. So in this way, you''re lucky to be starting "late".

I myself am 22. I started programming in general when I was 12, but like most of my peers that started that early, I had to re-learn and re-train when I finally came to the realization that my "hack it out" methods would never work on a large-scale project. So since that time (I was around your age, 18, when I finally came to this realization that I had to change), I''ve been working on re-training myself. Only now, at the age of 22, do I feel that I have re-acquired enough skill and acquired enough new discipline to begin beyond re-learning again. So that''s a good 3 or 4 years I wasted because I was an upstart kid that didn''t have any self-discipline. (now, Asheron''s Call was also involved in that delay, but I prefer to not think of the time I wasted on that game =) )

Now, there are some who have discipline at that early of an age: just like there are some 4 year olds who can play Beethoven on the piano. There are some who realize that they need discipline early too: just like there are kids who can hit a baseball 300 feet. In other words, those are the exceptions and not the rule. Most of the time, kids almost by definition are prone to not accepting logic and disciplined approaches, and thus are doomed to the process I have outlined.

You, at your age, likely have the discipline to avoid that fate however. So now the ball''s in your court. Go for it! =)

Bear in mind most people don''t learn c++ until they do it at university at 18... opengl stuff is hard to get taught at university until masters degree (at least at the dodgy university I attended).

I''m 16 now (started 3 months ago, age 15) and I think it''s actually quite an early age to start teaching yourself general game programming topics like 3D Graphics / Algorithms etc. The mathematics I''m having to teach myself goes far beyond the scope of my school which is a) problematic as I will often be puzzled at new topics until I consult a member of the GameDev forums but b) really good cause I''m starting to improve my mathematics grades. Your 18 so you''ve definately had more experience in school with mathematics so may find the learning curve for Mathematics and Game Logic a little less steep.

Besides it''s not about when you start learning; it''s about what you learn and how dedicated you are!

Good Luck, and Enjoy Game Programming!
Ad

PS. I think those that started really early learning C++ and DirectX / OpenGL are truly gifted and we shouldn''t really try comparing ourselves to others because were all individuals and will make our goals a reality in our own way no matter what it takes.

I started at 17...if you count reading & reading & reading priming to get to know the tools/business ''getting started''. Anyway 17 is when I got the intention to follow my passion of playing games into making them since no other careers seemed appeasing.

I''m 18 & still haven''t really ''started'' I just keep reading, someday I''ll bust out the MSVC++ cd/XP cds and get that beast installed again to make my first real game (took it out for HD space, now i Have a 160 gig)

i honestly forgot when i started, but im 15 now. im guessing i had to relearn c++ at least 5 times now :o

could never get past that boring chapter about structure

rofl Vodka, very funny... =P =) What I meant wasn''t outright re-learning it as such... I meant more like re-learning how to approach programming. Syntax is something that can be easily reccollected. Using the syntax in an efficient and organized manner is something that has to be re-taught if one ignores it the first time (or more) around. =)

i''m 15, learnt python and a bit of vba, starting c++ now, hard to juggle with school and puberty...
plus I get kinda jealous when I hear ppl talk about when they started at the age of 10, I knew diddly squat about computers back then...

to make a long , pointless, and grammaticly incorrect story short: 18 is a wonderfull age to start, my nephew started at that age and he''s pretty good (plus you get lessons from school, which is a-ok).

------

Catteeuw Pieter-Paul

------

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
Never too late... i know someone who started at age 8.... i started at 14.... i thought i was late... (yeah i just rambled, but my point is no its not too late) :-D

Hah. I was jealous of cowsarenotevil and the poppet! Especially cowsarenotevil. I mean, he/she/it knows how to model, program in C++ well, knows the OpenGL API, and have l33t Photoshop skillz. Bah! As for Yoda, he knows how to make chat programs...

Elben

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb
WiseElben.com - Experience Wisdom