Is 18 too old to be starting?

Started by
33 comments, last by O_O123 20 years, 3 months ago
Yes I know another age topic O_O sorry I'm 18 and just wondering if 18 is too old to be starting game development. I know some guys 13-15 talking about things I don't even have a clue O_O And making awesome games and stuff. Anyway I'm in my first year of college taking up computer programming. I'm learning VB6 and Java at school and probably deal with that C++ thing whenever I'm ready O_O. [edited by - O_O123 on January 17, 2004 2:34:48 PM]
Advertisement
Never too late... i know someone who started at age 8.... i started at 14.... i thought i was late... (yeah i just rambled, but my point is no its not too late) :-D
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
No way, you''ll get the hang of it in no time. Those 13-15 year olds just started earlier (plus they get to deal with things like puberty).
Nah, it isn't a problem. I started at a young age, but my dad started at 40, and he's doing fine. Actually, at an older age, you comprehend things quicker (according to statistics). Which means, as long as you're not too stupid (;\) you should catch on pretty quick. Besides, at 18, well... its not too old... Anyway... for starters, click here. Pretty nice asp that allows for html in posts... ANYWAY! Gotta get back to work...

EDIT:: Oh yeah, I was kind of jealous of those 8-year-old C++ ppl... I started &#106avascript when I was 9 and C++ at 11... I kind of felt bad, but as long as one doesn't get too "green with envy" (PS: What's up with that? Why is envy associated with green? I like green... meanies...), then you'll be alright.
Another thing: those who start younger usually also quit younger, as I have seen. They're usually not really into it, just influenced by parents, but some REALLY have the knack, and its nice to work with THEM sometimes, as, well, its usually a big learning experience. Good luck, fellow brethren of the compiler.

EDIT2:: Turn that frown up-side-down!
PS: I only have a minor 10-percent ADD. So be nice!

[edited by - jtmerchant on January 17, 2004 2:49:31 PM]

[edited by - jtmerchant on January 17, 2004 2:53:38 PM]
If you''re still interested in games in general (I know I am, at age of 24 :D), then you should have no fundamental problems in becoming a game developer. However, learning the said profession is very long progress, and it is, by any means, not easy to make great games.

Here, at GDNet, you have a whole network of (mostly) helpful people, whom you can ask help from.

-Nik

Niko Suni

You are wasting your time by wondering is it too late to start or not. Stop wondering and start acting. It''s never too late man. In 18 years you are much smarter and your logic works much better so you''ll learn fast especially you have experience in programming. Buy your self a good books and start studying!

Good luck.

---------------------------------------
People fear what they don''t understand.
I started at 12... Didn''t help much, I couldn''t do anything for 3 or 4 years until I had the math knowledge I needed.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
I started at 28!
Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate it.

I guess its time for me to focus more so I can learn more and stop worrying about my damn age B) B)

thanks again guys :D
I started at 20. Fuck ages, you can start at 80. Game programming is fun. Do it because its fun, and for no other reason.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement