Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lazzar

How did YOU learn OpenGL?

Lazzar    127
hi, i wondered how you guys learned OpenGL..if you did at all of course. through books, online tutorials or in school? I am about to try OpenGl but i am not sure where to start lol I know c pretty well, know a bit c++. The bad thing is, i realy suck in math and those matrices and stuff are new to me. I already made a little game with SDL (space invader like), but moving a few Sprites around seems so much easier than OpenGL... Lazzar

santonel    106
the book OpenGL Game Programming. I tried Nehe but its just source code with comments and not really tutorials (but it is quite useful). This book helped me more than anything to learn it.

YoshiN    122
I learned it from a class at my Uni which I think it a very good way of learning it, as the class went into theory as well as application (I was able to write a simple software renderer with the knowledge obtained from the class).

azn_elliot    122
quote:
Original post by Lazzar
I am about to try OpenGl but i am not sure where to start lol
Lazzar

you can start by learning how to build a simple win32 program, as if you get that out of the way, it makes things much easier whether you''re using opengl or directx, etc. If you don''t then it''ll probably haunt you later =/

cowsarenotevil    3006
quote:
Original post by santonel
the book OpenGL Game Programming. I tried Nehe but its just source code with comments and not really tutorials (but it is quite useful). This book helped me more than anything to learn it.

You''re confusing NeHe with GameTutorials I think. Nehe writes real tutorials.

GamerSg    378
I prefer GameTutorials because the topics they discuss are more beginner oriented to advanced subjects like mode loading/octrees.

Anyway i learnt most of the basics from the free Redbook which you can find in the resources section. This is the official book for OpenGL and it has alot of information you will be hardpressed to find in other books.

I also reccommend using GLUT first so that you don''t get overwhelmed by the Win32 code required to get a window running, or you can just use SDL as you are doing now to do that.

Also, experience with a modelling program before getting into 3d programming will be invaluable as you will get a feel and understanding on how vertices/lines/polygons and the different transformations work.

cowsarenotevil    3006
quote:
Original post by GamerSg
I prefer GameTutorials because the topics they discuss are more beginner oriented to advanced subjects like mode loading/octrees.

They don''t even teach you anything. They just shove code in your face so you can copy it into your programs and use it. You don''t actually learn anything.

Besides, model loading and octrees are best learned somewhere like a class on programming, or from a good book.

timmay314    138
I took a class about the math behind the graphics APIs, and we learned how you do the things in OpenGL as we learned how it was done internally. I''d recommend taking a class like this if you have one offered.

maxd gaming    100
quote:
Original post by fraKtal
Anywhere I could find info on OpenGL. Infact, Anywhere I CAN find info on OpenGL, as I am no where near expert status.

Same except I have tryed to stay away from NeHe... it teaches nothing.

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My .Net Information }{ A upcoming space RTS codenamed Gruntacktica . }{ . }

Not following the new trend:
Looky here mommy! No cow pic!