Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

orcblood

Mouse Movement?

orcblood    122
Ok, I have a camera working for a simple open gl game that Im making - though it took some time and in the end I found out that the only reason why it wasnt working was because I was spelling something wrong :O! Lol... Anyway, Im currently trying to add a mouse movement option. Basically, if the user moves the mouse it will rotate the player''s view (kind of like how if you press the c buttons in Legend of Zelda your view around Link changes). Is the call for mouse movement WM_MOUSEMOVE? I cant remember... Also, is there any call for something such as a WM_MOUSEMOVEUP, WM_MOUSEMOVERIGHT, WM_MOUSEMOVELEFT, etc? This way I can tell the camera to rotate a certain speed along the X, Y or Z axis that has been chosen. Thanks for any help, Im new in the mouse controls area.

Mulligan    378
Take a look at DirectInput, also, i suggest you brush up a bit on how Win32 works. Dont ever use win32 messages to handle fast input, its inefficent nd slow.

One last thing, if you want to reduce the level of flaming you get, leave out "LOL!11!! OMFG~~tilde~!111!!!! " from your posts.

[edited by - Mulligan on January 17, 2004 3:53:32 PM]

orcblood    122
Yes I suppose I actually should look into direct input. Thanks for the help, would anyone have some good tutorials for direct input and direct x 9 (if thats still the current version, I dont know)?

Captain Nuss    100
The GDnet beginner articles contain some introductory information about DirectInput. They've originally been written for versions of DirectX prior to the current one (9.0b, IIRC), but are still applicable to DX9.

In addition, the MSDN contains a big pile of information about DirectInput.

[edited by - Captain Nuss on January 17, 2004 6:30:58 PM]

psykr    295
There''s no need for you to go into DirectInput yet; Windows messages are fine for simple games. However, asking us to tell you if the message is WM_MOUSEMOVE is just plain lazy. You have access to the internet, you should use it.
And actually, DirectInput is still in version 8.

orcblood    122
I was wondering about that actually... I was reading through several tutorials and I saw LPDIRECTINPUT8 which got me angry because I thought it was a tutorial on direct x 8 no 9... Anyway, thanks for the links. Ill have to read through all of them.