Designing a board game

Started by
14 comments, last by Iron Eye 20 years, 3 months ago
Ugh. You''d be better off making it into a computer board game. Cute animations and automatic dice rolls will make for a smoother, more enjoyable gaming experience.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Ugh. You''d be better off making it into a computer board game. Cute animations and automatic dice rolls will make for a smoother, more enjoyable gaming experience.

It will be a computer board game, although it will more than likely lack animation, I''m just keeping things simple.

I already have code to render a tile based board, load new boards if necessary (although I cropped that code out for now), select pieces with the mouse, and move them with the arrow keys.

This is my second game, don''t want to get in over my head.

---
ConPong _//_ Google _//_ Chaos Forge - quick and easy file hosting for developers

"Games usually keep me from making my own..."
-Me
---

find your elementat mutedfaith.com.
Whew. I thought you were actually going to require a person to roll dice every ten seconds while playing the game. I tried that once, and it doesn''t really work, because there''s so much to remember and do. On a computer, your idea sounds very interesting indeed. I hope it works out for you.
Your idea seems flawed at best.

I'll give me reason first then offer suggestions.

first off its going to be a very slow game unless the board is very small. Because you can only move at most 2 units and most 2 spaces a turn. Since you gain 1 unit a turn this means your town hall will be surrounded by useless units. Also attacks will be next to impossible since your attack force will contain at most 2 units, against a much larger defensive force.

Assuming your goal is to make a strategy game then here are my suggestions.

first off remove all dice from the game.

Now at the start of the game you have 24 unit points with which to buy units which cost 1 or 2 points each. These are all the units you get for the entire game.

now you can keep it simple and have 4 units:
Soldiers - move 1, HP 2, range 1, cost 1
Cavalry - move 2, HP 1, range 1, cost 2
Archer - move 1, HP 1, range 2, cost 1
Builder - move 1, HP 1, range 1, cost 2

builders can build/destroy the following buildings.
Wall - blocks movement and blocks attacks from non archers.
Tower - doubles archers range
Fortress - acts as a second town center, builder is lost after this order.

Capturing a town center requires moving a friendly unit into it and there being no adjacent enemy units.

the rest is up to you but there should be enough design a solid easy to learn strategy game.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

[edited by - TechnoGoth on January 18, 2004 6:58:19 PM]
Go has a rule where the guy who goes first, is limited on his second move. This seems to even out the game pretty well.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
What rule is that, hplus?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement