Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cippyboy

Realistic Reflections

cippyboy    223
While trying to just make the refletions work and after getting everything else rendered and eventually putting up the blending... I saw that the usual... GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA is not interesting enough... If you`ve seen games like Need For Speed : Underground , Mortal Kombat 5 : Deadly Alliance(and probably a few more) then you know what I mean, if you don`t... I`ll have to say that the blending is being done in relevance to the color of the texture of the reflective layer, and is slighty visible, sometimes it happens that on some textures/fragments is visible or not, anyway the reflections amazed me and... I can`t seem to find any perfect blending so far Any help would be apreciated

cippyboy    223
Although I didn`t tryed to use 2 texture units on the reflective surface I did tryed to set up an alpha map based on another texture and the effect looks about 50% of what I wanted, I`ll also try those Alpha Masking/multitexturing topic.
So far I have a pic like this->
http://www.geocities.com/cippyboy_7/reflections.jpg

cippyboy    223
I`ve been messing around with the blending and I`ve at least figured out what I want->
Based on the alpha map I want to show the reflection 100% where the alpha map has a 0 value, between 1-254 a blend of reflection and the reflectve layer texture and at 255, you can see no reflection... I don`t know how to express this in an blending equation but at least I know what I want

Edit: I`ve been getting into 2 modes... either see-trough->blend one on one or opacity100%->blend one on one. It`s Pretty much fun to animate the alpha color(Alpha Map unchanged).

[edited by - cippyboy on January 18, 2004 4:02:40 PM]

Luminous Blue    122

have you realy try it with env combine
i be sure NfSU (see the road) use it in this way

zero alpha = 0% and 255 = 100% reflection

i''m not sure if your technik is posible on water (opacity textures) or todo in a simple way

BTW: use env combine or fragment progamm
and play with the alpah mask
simply convert your texture to grey and use it
for the alpha channel

LB

cippyboy    223
I uploaded the file again and... it`s about 80-90% as I wanted it so... I`ll leave it this way
the link again->
http://www.geocities.com/cippyboy_7/reflections.jpg

PS:I tryed all the env-combine-s I found... I should`ve initialised something(like an extension ? I thought that it was something like I have the env_combine or not supported so I made no checks... but I have a GeForceFX so I don`t tink it was a problem though... I`ll check tomorrow for some fixes though) ? it worked as if I turned on the
gltexenv() to GL_DECAL, which is everything in grey

[edited by - cippyboy on January 18, 2004 5:44:19 PM]