newbie to programming, need some advice

Started by
20 comments, last by xbx0412 20 years, 3 months ago
im brand new to programming, i dont know n e thing.... What programming language should i start with, I dont want to start with C++
Advertisement
Why don''t you want to start with C++ if you don''t know anything about the languages to begin with?

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
i was thinking about starting with it and i was told that it isnt a good idea to start with it and to start with something a little easier
quote:Original post by xbx0412
i was thinking about starting with it and i was told that it isnt a good idea to start with it and to start with something a little easier

Nah, start with C++ if you want to. You''ll be fine, and there''s a great community here to help you learn it. Here''s a book about it if you want to give it a try.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Just start with C++. I did, and I also had no prior experience like you as well.

-Peter
There are two inevitabilities in life: death and failure.-PoLiSh
If you''re new to programming, but familiar with mathematics and functions, consider Haskell. It *can* get quite complex just like any language, but the basics are very much like the way mathematical functions work, and you may find that familiar.

Image loads when I''m online since I''m too lazy to find a permanent host.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Click here. Go through the tutorials in order and you''ll learn the basic syntax of C++. I started here then bought some books, which I don''t have with me or would name them here. But there''s one you absolutely must get for Win32 API programming (programming in Windows): Programming Windows, Fifth Edition, by Charles Petzold. A bit outdated (1998), but it''s still pretty valid, for the most part. That''s more of a second Windows book, as it covers a lot. I learned all the Win32 information I needed for DirectX programming in this book... Well for an intro to DirectX, which is an API for 3D, get this book: Advanced 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0. It says "Advanced", but its more of an introductory book that goes to advanced levels. If you don''t understand some of the wording of the post, come back after you finish some tutorials at gametutorials.com.

Also if current programmers can''t understand my post, well, I''m crazy, with 10% ADD .
Yeh, if u feel up for it then go straight for C++. Otherwise go to a book store or check on the internet for bits of code from different languages and start with one you like.

If you dont want to go C++ for some reason, I recommend you go Java and C++ later on.

Anyways just get ureself a book on the language or some tutorials from the internet
Start with C.
C++ is evil. Start with Java, if you must use a real "programming" language first (as opposed to a "scripting" language - but these days, the distinction is rather arbitrary). There''s nothing wrong with starting out in a higher-level language. I learned basic and turing as a little kid, and then ended up doing most of my self-teaching of "programming" using HyperTalk (Hypercard script language). And well - look how helpful I am around here now

Oh, and if it so happens that you respect Eric S. Raymond''s opinion - he suggests Python. Though I don''t think he was considering games programming in particular

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement