Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaBeKD

Less Violent Arrows/Projectiles?

Hi guys and gals, I am fleshing out some story and game concepts for a Christian game I am making. I need some kind of a projectile ''weapon'' that is non-fatal, and non-violent. And it needs to be in the medevil era (or actually, 800 BC, bows and arrows time) The idea is, you send an ''arrow'' and the character being hit is converted to your side. He is not killed, only converted to your side. So it needs to be non-fatal, non-violent. And it needs to fit in with the atmosphere of bows and arrows. I can''t be flying around with a plasma gun during this time era. Any ideas?

you could use those foam nerf things.. heh
i mean really, what''s the point? i thought christians were against even nonfatal violence? i dunno.. in 800bc all weapons were violent

why an arrow? if you want to convert somebody, why not run up to him with your bible and start preaching. sure you''ll take a few hits but that just show''s you''re determined, right? turn the other cheek and all that stuff? i just keep picturing jesus with a bow and arrow that converts people.. sounds kindof silly to me

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

Guest Anonymous Poster
On the Thief series there are rope/vine arrows (for climbing), gas arrows (when it hits anything it releases a cloud of sleeping gas), water arrows (for dousing torches and putting fires off) and noise arrows (to distract the enemy).

Still a non violent bow/arrow doesn''t makes much sense. Perhaps you should re-design the gameplay of your game.

You could just use a generic-looking projectile and explain it away as anything that comes to mind, from cosmic rays to a piercing gaze to divine power. A physical weapon might not be necessary if you just have the stuff come out of the character''s eyes/mouth/hands. Or you could invent some artifact (a wand, a stone tablet, a sling) that fires these things. Even a magic bow (a la the Ranger''s bow from the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon) could work.

-PJM

quote:
Original post by psykr
Pfft, the game has Christian values. No one said the game setting itself was Christian.

quote:

I am fleshing out some story and game concepts for a Christian game I am making.

How about some kind of mystical-energy? I dont think your going to have a very easy time with the ''non-violent projectile'' idea, simply due to the fact that projectiles are, by nature, violent. Another possibility might be small throwable vials of holy water or something.

You could try stones - they would stone people to death back then. I mean stones are violent but their not fatal.

EDIT: Correction their not usually fatal if hit by just one.

[edited by - pswind on January 17, 2004 9:59:33 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmmm, non-lethal Christian projectile? You could always be realistic and have them dish out loads of crap.

Honestly though, I don''t commonly think you win people over by hurling things at them at a high velocity. Your best bet would be the "spoken word", or to sling-shot little packets of food at them.

Actually...the best of all would be a little Pokemon ball. And when you throw it at your enemy....Jesus pops out and converts them!

"Jesus...I choose YOU!"

---best of luck

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
....Jesus pops out and converts them!

"Jesus...I choose YOU!"

---best of luck

isnt the game supposed to be before jesus''s birth....

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why do people insist on "Christian" games to be full of bunnies and things.. If you''re making a game that involves fighting, make it GOOD, people might actually play it. Anyone that goes around ignoring the violence IN the bible is totally not paying any attention to anything.. Geez.. I''m sorry but it just seems totally silly to me..

Christ was a real person, not invented. This is known history. Whether or not he turned water to wine and cured a blindman is another story though. The bible itself is full of violence, lust, incest, and plenty of other non holy acts. If you''re going to be making a game for the christian religion, you don''t have to make it 100% non lethal. God''s wrath isn''t very nice when it does happen. It''s actually quite lethal so I''ve heard.

Now for your projectile that converts people idea, how bout light arrow of enlightenment? When struck with this beam of light they suddenly realize that being jewish (the religion that followed the old testament before christ was around), is a good idea. In fact now that the jewish religion is established as the current religion following the bible in the time you''ve picked out for your game to exist, then you should read up in jewish culture about projectiles and holy wars and such.