Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elaran

3D Engine

Greetings everyone; I have all too recently jumped into the realm of 3D game programming and design. I have a good knowledge of C++ though I lack experience in the area of Windows (and consequently DirectX) programming. My question today is - should I delve into the complexities of writing my own engine, or should I use an already extant one? I have found several engines that look quite promising (though most of them arent worth the time - hence my question of whether to attempt my own or not...). Though perhaps I am not asking the right question (being too general in nature.. or outright wrong)? Many stupid things are uttered by people whose only motivation is to say something original. -Voltair [edited by - Elaran on January 17, 2004 12:22:16 AM]

If you have recently started 3D programming then writing a 3D (graphics) engine is perhaps too large a task for you at the moment. Using an existing 3D engine could give you some experience of 3D programming but you will not necessarily learn much about 3D concepts like coordinate systems, transformations etc without digging into the code.

Perhaps writing some small 3D demos is the best way to get started as this will teach you an API (OGL/D3D) as well as the other details which you will need to create a 3D graphics engine.

Good luck

If you want to make a game, use an existing engine. There are many free quality engines which are quite close to what commericial games offer. Some are even open source if you want to add in more features or see how it is written.

For most of us on these forums, it will take probably many years of work and research to reach what current commercial game engines have to offer. By that time, graphics cards would have evolved alot and there will be many new things to implement. In short, it is a neverending affair.

Thanks guys =)

I think I am just going to delve into the source code of an already extant engine and play around with it a bit. =) There are indeed a few good engines (well not many really... do you know of anything in particular?)

I have taken a look at some engines in the 100$ price range and like some of what I have seen. The Qube engine (originally a consol engine ported to PC) seems very good and has full source code available as well (not to mention being totally free!). Does anyone have opinions on these? Is there something specific I should check out?

Thanks!

There are plenty of 3D engines around to delve into if thats what you want to do, here''s a list of some (free) ones:

Quake 1/2
OGRE
Irrlicht
Genesis 3D (bit dated now)

Heres quite a bir list of 3D engines but is a bit old so some of the links are dead but still worth a look:
clicky

That should be enough to keep you goin for a while