Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graveyard filla

anyone use visual studio .ne 2003t???

does anyone use this to code in c++? im used to using MSVC6 and i got visual studio .net 2k3 and all the MSDN CDs.... is there any advantage to using .net as opposed to MSVC? is one better then the other? and how do i program in c++ with this thing? [edited by - graveyard filla on January 18, 2004 5:11:27 AM] [edited by - graveyard filla on January 18, 2004 5:12:29 AM]

You get to use the latest version of the MFC, choose between managed and un-managed C++, and have access to GDI+ rather then just GDI.

In industry proper - a lot of people still use Visual C++ 6 and have VS .Net installed too. Alot of older projects in Source Safe that are just too creeky to upgrade to the newer IDE and compiler...

wow....you dumped 2000 dollars into a prog you didnt know how to use? (or r u wonderin how to access the c++ area or whatever (i simply have msvc++ standard)) i think you need to create an empty project, then add .cpp and .c and .hpp and .h files to your empty project and im assumign you knwo what to d oform there :-D

-Dan

Yes I realize im a n00b...

Create a new Win32 Project (not managed), select whether it should be a console or win32 application and there you are.

The .NET 2003 C++ compiler is way better than the VC 6.0 one, especially if you consider templates (PTS finally!). Its currently the one most standard compliant compiler available if you believe the Boost compiler test suite (http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs).

-Markus-

[edited by - Cygon on January 18, 2004 5:52:57 AM]

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
wow....you dumped 2000 dollars into a prog you didnt know how to use?

I have a hunch he didn''t actually spend the money...

quote:
Original post by FaR
I have a hunch he didn''t actually spend the money...

Shhh. You''ll destroy my youthful innocence regarding the goodness of man and the power of capitalism.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

first of all, im not a thief. dont be so quick to be an asshole. i am a second semester CIS student and i got a new software package (windows xp pro full, VS.NET (4 CDS), the 3 MSDN CD''s, front page,project,visio pro, all of microsoft office XP (3 CD''s)

before this i was using VS6 which school gave me my first semester (they happened to upgrade the software package the second semester i start going to i lucked out and now i have 2 software packages, one with all the newer stuff i just listed, the other with VS6, MS office, windows 200, etc.

anyway, back to my point. i cant get .net to compile my programs. its giving me a "unexpected end of file" error when i even just copy and paste working VS6 code into VS.NET.

i figured maybe my program was a little weird, so i made a simple hello world program. all it was was a cout to the screen saying hello world, and even that gave me unexpected EOF error. does anyone know what i have to do to use .net? are all the libraries still the same and stuff? why wont this compile?

quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
anyway, back to my point. i cant get .net to compile my programs. its giving me a "unexpected end of file" error when i even just copy and paste working VS6 code into VS.NET.

Either a Precompiled header problem or a missing closing curly.

And yes, if you have access to VC 7.1, there really are no reasons to keep using VC 6.0.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

i dont see how it can be any kind of error.

this is what i do, open VS.NET,

then click new project>>> then click Visual C++ Projects>>>then click win32 console project..... i click application settings>>> check off empty project>>> now im in project view... i see to my right source files folder... i right click and choose "new item" then i pick c++ source file from the list...

hmm. this seems to have worked. oh well, guess i figured it out for myself. going and checking off start as empty project was my problem.

ps what does (int argc, char **argv) after main do?

quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
ps what does (int argc, char **argv) after main do?

assuming you start your application like : test.exe hi there

argc = 2
argv[0] = "hi"
argv[1] = "there"

-----------------------------
Amma

quote:
Original post by Amma
assuming you start your application like : test.exe hi there

argc = 2
argv[0] = "hi"
argv[1] = "there"

Incorrect. argv[0] is always the name of the program.

argc is 3
argv[0] is "test.exe"
argv[1] is "hi"
argv[2] is "there"

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

those variables are in main(...) so you could pass paramters to your application

for instance, in dos prompt, we do this. format c:\

this way, depending on what the user place after your program name, you can do some stuffs base from what the user pass.