question on graphics engines...

Started by
6 comments, last by deryk 20 years, 3 months ago
hi. my classmates and i are looking to develop a graphics engine over the course of one year and i was just wondering what exactly the scope of a graphics engine is. what is it in charge of doing? can it be constructed/implemented using openGL or does an entire library have to be built from scratch? thanks! more questions to follow..
Advertisement
OpenGL can be seen as a rendering API, a graphics engine for your purpose would concern itself with:

o constructing a representation of a scene in triangles / polygons
o specifying light and texture settings for these polygons
o view culling of unseen triangles
o sending the textured and lit triangles in view to opengl to display them
hmm given that definition, then i guess what we''re trying to do isn''t really an engine. we''re trying to do something in the realm of cel-shading. possibly a filter of sorts that runs cel-shading algorithms? i''m not really sure how to define it, but i guess that''s it. or it could be called a "library".

either way, we''re having a tough time defining exactly what components are chiefly involved in cel-shading. lighting is definitely one of them. what are the others? and, what are the current problems that current cel-shading algorithms have?
I can''t advise on cel-shading, but I just want to say that people''s definitions of Engine (especially graphics/game engines) will vary wildly.

Like any project, you need to sit and decide exactly what you want to achieve - just bear in mind that OGL is concern with getting your triangles onto the screen and colouring/texturing them.
thanks! i''ll check with people who seem to be into cel-shading. :D
im with deryk in this "little" problem we have and i was wondering ... if we were to create a library that implements cel shading in openGL, would it be a lot of work?
Cel shading isn''t complicated enough to need an engine, or a library, you couldn''t possibly program it generic enough to make it able for people to plug it into their own work (like you can with library code).

Don''t get hung up on making an engine, it brings a lot more work, it probably won''t be reusable, and it brings very little benifit. If you want to mess with cel shading all you need to be able to do is load a model and display it on the screen (via DirectX or OpenGL).

Cel shading is basically 2 parts: the outline, and the surface shading. Both have a couple of well known methods that work well, start with nvidia''s developer section on their site there''s a couple of good papers there.
There is an exelent cell shading tuturial over at nehe.gamedev.net.

---------------------------------
For an overdose of l33tness, flashbang.nu

[edited by - lc_overlord on January 18, 2004 10:40:57 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement