Hello from Pumpkin Games

Started by
8 comments, last by PaulCunningham 20 years, 2 months ago
Hi there fellow GameDevers. I've finally gotten around to uploading my current project to my new website and would appreciate some feedback. What's it all about then I hear you all cry eagerly! Well, the working title is Alien Abduction and it's a shooter inspired by Defender's gameplay and PomPom's puesdo 3d style games. It's my first attepmt at a game and I'm quite pleased with the progress I've made so far considering I'm new to GL and a C++ novice. It's only version 0.1 so there is still lot's to do but have a look if you want. As you can see it's a little rough around the edges, has a few bugs and the art sucks but all the basics are in. Visit the Pumpkin Games website Download Alien Abduction Post some suggestions in the forum It could really do with an artist / modeller replacing my feeble attempts so if anyone has any spare time and thinks it'd be fun to get this looking good - send us an email. I only work on it part time and it's going to be freeware so it would be on a 'hobby' basis. Cheers, Paul Cunningham Pumpkin Games EDIT: Fixed sig [edited by - PaulCunningham on January 18, 2004 10:57:17 AM]
Cheers,Paul CunninghamPumpkin Games
Advertisement
Note: If you get problems with scrambled text on the menus...

Simply go to the fonts folder under the game folder.
Delete all font files except AlienAbduction.ini
Copy this file 4 times and rename so you get...

AlienAbduction.ini
AlienAbduction2.ini
AlienAbduction3.ini
AlienAbduction4.ini
AlienAbduction5.ini

This should fix it - alternatively dl again as I''ve fixed in the zip file.

Soz!

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham

Pumpkin Games
Its pretty good, the camera doesnt exactly go perfectly straight left to right and I kinda wish i had some upgrades for my weapon but other then that its good, i can tell you worked hard on the particle systems, and overall game, so very good it does get a bit of routine ish and I kinda wish there was more lifes or a life bar

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 19, 2004 4:01:33 AM]
Hi - thanks for taking the time to download.

quote:
...the camera doesnt exactly go perfectly straight left to right

Not sure what you mean by that. The camera should zoom out the faster your ship goes and then zoom in when you slow down. Maybe that is the effect you are referring to? Did it look weird or was it too off putting?

quote:
...and I kinda wish i had some upgrades for my weapon

There are currently 4 weapon upgrades. Plasma, Homing Missile, Laser and Lightning. They spawn into the level and look like big coloured spinning stars. They only live for a limited time so you may have missed them (red block on the radar). The first one doesn''t appear until level 3 or so. Also they aren''t permanent. Once collected they last a certain amount of time and then it''s back to the default weapon. This could change to a permanent secondary weapon with ammo? Once out of ammo then the weapon is used up?

quote:
...i can tell you worked hard on the particle systems

Cheers. It''s fully scriptable too. If you look in the ParticleSystems folder you can tweak the values of the various effects in a text editor.

In the Scripts\Actors directory there should be some .lua files where I link up various Emitors to the game entities. These can also be tweaked. You can add more than 1 emitor per event - e.g. the main ship has multiple explosion emitors and multiple ''trails'' linked to it.

quote:
...it does get a bit of routine ish and I kinda wish there was more lifes or a life bar

3 lives not enough for ya? Maybe I need difficulty settings. There is the facilty all ready coded for ''life bar'' it''s just not turned on. Each game entity causes a certain amount of damage and the main ship has a energy setting (currently set to 1). I may add this back in then.

As for the routine ish thing - any suggestions..

...Boss levels?
...Themes for the levels? Industrial, Caverns, Ice, etc - may need some help with content here. Lot of work for a one man outfit!

Paul,

Your game looks good, can I add your game to the review ladder @ www.FreelanceGames.com?

Thanks

Have your independent game reviewed by your peers on the www.FreelanceGames.com review ladder.

[edited by - Sean Doherty on January 19, 2004 6:50:01 PM]
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
Yeah, sure - as long as everyone realises that it''s just an alpha release and there are only 5 or 6 ''test'' levels - else they might want their money back

PS - parp look interesting - I must dl that when I get a spare 5 mins

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham

Pumpkin Games
Thanks Paul,

I will put it up as soon as possible.

PS: If you send me your email address I will ley you know when it has been posted.

My e-mail address is: sdoherty@nbnet.nb.ca

_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
paul DOT cunningham AT pumpkin HYPHEN games DOT net
Let the battle commence...

Alien Abduction vs Sub Hunter - check it out here.

I''ve also enabled Polls for Unregistered users so now you can vote on what you think of Alien Abduction

The poll is in bottom right of the Pumpkin Games website.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham

Pumpkin Games
Congratulations Paul, Alien Abduction won the first round; now your game is up against Starflight 3. Best of luck... Everyone go to my site and vote for your favorite game.

Lastly, we are now featuring over 10 games!!!

Have your independent game reviewed by your peers on the www.FreelanceGames.com review ladder.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement