• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DorRaba

DirectX - VB.NET vs C++

This topic is 5284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this is a question I have no answer... is there any difference now when VB.NET has arrived between VB.NET and C++ speed when using DirectX, is there any difference between the performance of DirectX managed and un-managed code, what should I use and with what should I program a DirectX game?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by DorRaba
this is a question I have no answer... is there any difference now when VB.NET has arrived between VB.NET and C++ speed when using DirectX, is there any difference between the performance of DirectX managed and un-managed code, what should I use and with what should I program a DirectX game?

Managed DirectX runs at about 95-98% of the speed of unmanaged.

BUT

That being said, VB.NET is slower than both C++ and C# as it is not meant for 3D calculations and hardcore math.

If you are going to use managed DX I would use C#, if you are going to use unmanaged DX than use C++.

I understood that VB.NET is now faster and can work with high speed using directX9, and I wanted to know, what is C# is it like C/C++ or what?

C# is Microsoft''s answer to Java. At first glance C# seems very similar to Java, moreso than it is to C/C++. But I haven''t had any more than a first glance, so I can''t say more.

If you type in C# in the search function you''ll find a billion discussions on C#.

quote:
Original post by atcdevil
C# is Microsoft's answer to Java. At first glance C# seems very similar to Java, moreso than it is to C/C++. But I haven't had any more than a first glance, so I can't say more.

If you type in C# in the search function you'll find a billion discussions on C#.

wow these misunderstandings come up a lot on these forums =]

C# has nothing to do with Microsoft and Java. Microsoft has released J# which is the answer to Java.

C# was built by Andres in order to have a language specifically meant for development on Windows Longhorn and future managed Windows OS's, it has nothing to do with Java.

Java programmers that want to use .NET can use J# if they want.

[edited by - Imperil on January 18, 2004 2:14:17 PM]

quote:
Original post by DorRaba
I understood that VB.NET is now faster and can work with high speed using directX9, and I wanted to know, what is C# is it like C/C++ or what?

Yes VB.NET is faster than it was, but still falls far behind.

The MSIL code it produces when compiled is very similar to C#, but lacks in two areas and makes execution speed about half that of a C# program.

Basically you want to look at it like this:

Unmanaged C++ (can''t touch this for speed on our current OS)
Managed C# (95-98% of the performance of unmanaged C++)
Managed C++ (85-95% of the performance of unmanaged C++.. I have no idea why sometimes the performance hit is so drastic but I do know it is being optomized non stop)
Managed VB.NET (65-75% of the performance of unmanaged C++)
Unmanaged VB (35-55% of the performance of unmanaged C++)

So yes as you can see VB did step it up HUGE in performance in the last revision, but it still can''t compete with C++ and C#.

It seems odd though, because Microsoft stated that the .NET languages would produce the same MSIL code, and we are seeing different results altogether.

quote:
Original post by alexmoura
imperil, can I ask where you got those results from?

Reports, benchmarking, and testing.

I have my own benchmarks that we had to perform at work, plus there are various released ones online.

I posted on on the forums a couple days back but I forget the link and I''m not sure which post it was on.. it was a posting on C# and it had various benchmarks between all languages.

I will try ot dig it up for you.

If you want to get into graphics seriously then I guess C++ is the answer.

If you're interest is as a hobby, just for fun or for non power intensive programs than VB.NET would suit just fine

[edited by - hog on January 18, 2004 7:10:30 PM]

[edited by - hog on January 18, 2004 7:11:09 PM]

quote:
Original post by Imperil
quote:
Original post by alexmoura
imperil, can I ask where you got those results from?

Reports, benchmarking, and testing.

I have my own benchmarks that we had to perform at work, plus there are various released ones online.

I posted on on the forums a couple days back but I forget the link and I''m not sure which post it was on.. it was a posting on C# and it had various benchmarks between all languages.

I will try ot dig it up for you.

If you could I''d be thankfull - I''m just curious - The only benchmarks I''ve seen so far only put vb noticeably behind C# in file IO while using the compatibility layer.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!