Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

23yrold3yrold

Win32 registry fun (on WinXP)

I have recently had a go at setting up my tilemap editor so a) it would open files in a new instance of the program if I double-clicked it, and b) it would add the file to the list of recently viewed documents in Start->Documents if I opened it. I did it, but had a devil of a time and only half understand what I did to make it work. Not helped by the fact that after pecking at it half-heartedly for an hour or so without success this morning, it suddenly started working for no reason I knew of. I hate when that happens So I was wondering if you would just look this over. Some of it just because I was told to, which is probably the parts going over my head (why am I even making a ShellNew key with no info? ) I guess, just let me know if I'm doing something unnecessary or unwise, or if there's any way to clean it up or improve it in some other way or something ... yeah

void DoRegistryStuff() {	
	// registry fun time!!!!

HKEY	hkey;
	DWORD	dwDisposition;

string s1 = "MapSlapper";
	string s2 = "C:\\Program Files\\MapSlapper\\MapSlapper.exe %1";
	string s3 = "C:\\Program Files\\MapSlapper\\icon.ico";
	string s4 = "MapSlapper map file";

if(RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, TEXT(".map"), 0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE, 0, NULL, &hkey, &dwDisposition) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
	{
		RegSetValueEx(hkey, TEXT(""), 0, REG_SZ, (PBYTE)s1.c_str(), s1.size() + 1);
		RegCloseKey(hkey);
	}
	else
		MessageBox(NULL, "One crap ...", "", MB_OK);

if(RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, TEXT(".map\\ShellNew"), 0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE, 0, NULL, &hkey, &dwDisposition) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
	{
		RegSetValueEx(hkey, TEXT("NullFile"), 0, REG_SZ, (PBYTE)"", 0);
		RegCloseKey(hkey);
	}
	else
		MessageBox(NULL, "Two crap ...", "", MB_OK);

if(RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, TEXT("MapSlapper"), 0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE, 0, NULL, &hkey, &dwDisposition) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
	{
		RegSetValueEx(hkey, TEXT(""), 0, REG_SZ, (PBYTE)s4.c_str(), s4.size() + 1);
		RegCloseKey(hkey);
	}
	else
		MessageBox(NULL, "Three crap ...", "", MB_OK);

if(RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, TEXT("MapSlapper\\Shell\\Open\\command"), 0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE, 0, NULL, &hkey, &dwDisposition) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
	{
		RegSetValueEx(hkey, TEXT(""), 0, REG_SZ, (PBYTE)s2.c_str(), s2.size() + 1);
		RegCloseKey(hkey);
	}
	else
		MessageBox(NULL, "Four crap ...", "", MB_OK);

if(RegCreateKeyEx(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, TEXT("MapSlapper\\DefaultIcon"), 0, NULL, REG_OPTION_NON_VOLATILE, 0, NULL, &hkey, &dwDisposition) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
	{
		RegSetValueEx(hkey, TEXT(""), 0, REG_SZ, (PBYTE)s3.c_str(), s3.size() + 1);
		RegCloseKey(hkey);
	}
	else
		MessageBox(NULL, "Five crap ...", "", MB_OK);

// apply changes right now. Now! NOW!!

SHChangeNotify(SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED, SHCNF_IDLIST, NULL, NULL);
}
Adding the file to Recent Documents is easy enough:
	string recent = '\"' + filename + '\"';
	SHAddToRecentDocs(SHARD_PATH, recent.c_str());

Comments? Is it all good, does it suck ...
Jesus saves ... the rest of you take damage. "A page of history is worth a volume of logic." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes [edited by - 23yrold3yrold on January 18, 2004 3:13:33 PM] [edited by - 23yrold3yrold on February 4, 2004 9:08:54 PM]

Sorry for the partial necro ...

The above code works in Win98, but fails miserably in WindowsXP. See all those "* crap" message boxes? I see all five when I run the program on an XP box. I''m fairly inexperienced with WinXP; is there something special I need to do to get through the OS''s security or something?

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take damage.
"A page of history is worth a volume of logic." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

You know, RegCreateKeyEx() returns error codes for a reason. Maybe you should try displaying the exact return value is. It might be more helpful than us forum monkeys throwing out random guesses.

Okay, I''m back. Been a long week

I''m checking the error returned from RegCreateKeyEx() and it''s always "Access is denied". I''m the administrator (it''s my home computer). HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER both give me the error.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take damage.
"A page of history is worth a volume of logic." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes