Noise Generator

Started by
2 comments, last by UltimaX 20 years, 3 months ago
Here''s something I made so I can generate large noise textures outside of my game. Can you try it and let me know what could be improved and what not. Who knows, maybe someone here will find it useful It can be found Here BTW: Try it with these parameters: Dimension: Any Noise Type: Riged Re-Seed: Yes Persistence: 0.8 Lacunarity: 1.8 To 2 Octaves: 4 Offset: 1.5 Gain: 2 Makes a nice caustics texture -UltimaX- Ariel Productions "You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Advertisement
You are aware that using Perlin noise to generate static images in preprocessing is overkill?

If you refer to the multiple blending stages with differing amplitudes and frequencies you merely used the wrong word as this is no invention of Mr. Perlin.

If you really used his deterministic noise generator to create the underlying white-noise, you went through a lot of trouble to create a highly and unneccessarily constrained random number generator.

I fear I sound to harsh, but I really would like to learn your reasoning for the use of Perlin Noise in this point. Maybe I am missing something

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up
The only thing I would use the static images for is caustics, heightmaps, and what not. I made this so I can fiddle around with the parameters and learn from it. Is it wrong to make a program to help learn something? I also never said it was an invention, I would never disrespect Ken like that.

Also, if I used the class's in the program I'm making, I can generate animated clouds within the program. Granted I probably wont because I said it was for learning and messing around with the parameters. In a real time animated case, I would make a shader for it.

And no I didn't think you were harsh, just curious.

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on January 19, 2004 8:49:53 PM]
One suggestion: have an option to make the noise textures tilable. This would make it very useful in generating real time procedural clouds.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement