code design

Started by
5 comments, last by skillfreak 20 years, 3 months ago
I''m searching for a book that teaches modular/tight code design with a slight slant toward game applications. Or a complete focus on game apps. =P -- Seems that many of my projects are never completed due to code design and accepting nothing less than a Carmack picturesque engine in terms of code flow. --- Thanks Any input is much appreciated. Andy
Advertisement
quote:Original post by skillfreak
Seems that many of my projects are never completed due to code design and accepting nothing less than a Carmack picturesque engine in terms of code flow.
Read this. In particular, take the following to heart:
quote:
"[G]ame-driven development" [is the most important thing for making a great game on time]. It''s easy to lose sight of what your final goal actually is. Neversoft went through some very hard times in our early years, where we were less focused. The key is to ensure that everything you do is focused on shipping a quality game on time. The quality of the code is a secondary consideration. The quality of the next game is a secondary consideration. The only thing that really matters is the game.
In other words, you code doesn''t need to be pretty or elegant. It needs to work. It needs to deliver.

Quit dicking around and get writing!
I would agree (fast functional code wins out over spotless code) but I know one very popular source of "spare time" games is the demo you want to show off when you''re applying for a job.

In that instance, I think having clean code does help--a hack here and there to save time or precious cycles can be ok, but I think a generally organized structure will help.

Of course, everything of what I think will be put to the test in a little over a year when I''m looking for such a job and hopefully my game project is at the very least a functional engine.
I think clean code coming secondary is fine.

McConnel said it best when he said a finished product is the best product. If having hack code is what makes it happen, then so let it be. The only time you really have to maintain and improve on legacy code is in the application world. Even then, if a change is major enough, new code/redo is justified. If a change is minor, then a programmer is probably skilled enough to adapt it.

That all being said, still do your best to make highly clean code. Code reviews, especially on these boards, will keep you on track.

interNEKO
Experienced programmers write reasonably clean code naturally.

Spend a little time thinking about what the structure ought to be. Keep it simple, just whatever objects come to mind. Don''t try to design for the future at this point, with the abstract base classes and private implementations and what not. Just keep it simple. Take a very basic set of features, and work out how to implement them.

Then hack away at that until you reach a point where you realise your framework is wrong. (This might be ten versions down the line. It might be before your first attempt to compile.) Adjust until the current bit of code you''re trying to do will fit.

Then grab the next feature and work it in. Change the structure as needed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Some changes will of course repay the effort many fold in the future as the ''framework'' improves. But remember your deadlines.
There is such a book:

Software Engineering and Computer Games by Rudy Rucker
Addison-Wesley
November, 2002
ISBN 0-201-76791-0

http://www.rudyrucker.com/computergames/

This book teaches modular design and presents a game framework. However the author clearly states the framework designed here is for educational purpose (eventhough it can be used to develop quality games). If it is not sufficient at one point in your game project you will need either to adjust it, or roll your own.

Hope that helps.
Ghostly yours,
Red.
Ghostly yours,Red.
Thank you everyone for yur input. =) def keep everything said in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement